Traxxion Dynamics - Fork Suspension Work

vonbonds

Supercharged
Hey guys,

I am emailing with Traxxion Dynamics located in Woodstock, GA (near Atlanta). I am thinking of taking my bike down so they can disassemble the forks to see what kinds of services/products they can offer us. I need to work out the details with them before I set a date but I would hope to do this in the next few months.

I have a few amateur racing friends who have recommended this company HIGHLY. I am not sure what ultimate products they will be able to offer us but I am curious if anyone would be interested in a group buy at some point? As of right now I don't know anything about prices so of course that hurts a bit as far as garnering interest.

Just curious about everyone's interest in Traxxion Dynamics.

http://www.traxxion.com

Traxxion - Products

Let me know...

Tom

My plan was to change the toy type rear shocks first, but since I have been doing a bit more high wheelies lately, I have been thinking that maybe it would be better to get something harder in the front first.

Anyway, I'm very interested.

I would be interested... the front is a little goofy now that I have Progressives on the back.

(Goofy is yet another technical term that all bikers know...)

Count Me In

Well if it's new technology and something that makes the bike go faster, smoother, safer or just go better........ count me in. I just visited their site and I hope the AK20 will work for us. Sure would save a lot of Moola in R&D funds.

Last edited:
No matter what company I choose to go with I am going to go with linnear springs over progressive type springs. Here is a neat snippet debating linnear springs vs. progressive springs...

Linear-Rate Springs Vs. Progressive-Rate Springs
Spring Definitions
-

Linear Rate - also known as straight rate or constant rate springs, are were the entire spring is wound at the same pitch, therefore every kg of force has the same effect on the spring throughout its length. For example, if it takes 25kg of force to compress the spring one inch it will take another 25kg (50kg in total) to compress it the second inch and so on until the end of the travel.

Progressive Rate - are wound progressively from a finer pitch at one end to a coarser pitch at the other, therefore having a rising rate resistance to compression. For example, a 15kg to 25kg progressive spring rate will take 15kg of force to compress the spring one inch, then an additional 17kg of force the next inch and so on until the end of the travel, the last inch takes an additional 25kg to compress it .

So Which Are Best?

The pro progressive spring lobby will advocate that you are getting the best of both worlds, you'll be getting a spring that can be soft enough at the start of travel to absorb small road bumps and provide a more 'comfortable' ride, yet still offering the firmness at the end of the travel to handle the big bumps and potholes, major loading under braking and preventing bottoming out. Progressive fork springs are very popular with cruisers and sportstourers.
So why then do the pro linear rate lobby always say that straight rate springs are better? What's the problem with progressive rate springs?
The first problem is that sportsbikes and racing bikes simply do not have enough suspension travel to take advantage of the progressive rates. The initial softer part of the spring just gets used up straight away leaving a limited amount of travel for the stiffer portion to deal with, resulting in less compliance and less traction. The second problem is that damping rates need to be matched to the spring rates, inparticular rebound damping, with progressive rate springs this is impossible. Damping is always a bit of a compromise and adding progressive springs to the mix just makes the job so much more difficult.
For sportsbikes and racing bikes virtually all suspension tuners will recommend linear springs, you will be very hard pressed to find any who will argue for progressive rate springs.
This is just our humble opinion, you really need to make your own judgement based on your type of bike and what you want from the suspension. There is a whole load of information out there, you just need to do a little surfing!!

Back