Transmission issue ???

you cant engage gears its only in 5th gear. i got home in 5th. it has no gear change because the bolt inside the case has come loose and is sitting on the sump. didnt make any sad noises just stopped changing gears..
local dealer stated $3000 NZ dollars to fix and wind the bolt back in. im pulling the motor out myself have a look get to know her better and understand Why? seen a post on here about not putting enough loctite on the bolt. But i think after 150,000 ks shes done good. pull her down do both chains check out for wear, paint, polish restore back to original or better. my pic is my last Rocket both 2005srestoration about the same ks had the upgrade kit done. mechanics not able to get the upgrade kit now,

yeah it's not the smartest orientation I've seen for a bolt thats for sure.

You'll have to split it open to fix but the goid news is it will only cost you a couple of gaskets and some permaflex...oh and probably a bit more loctite :thumbsup:

If you search for transmission and/or gearbox replacement and/or repairs you should find all the info you need to fix it. Plenty of pics around too.

If you don't already have one, search for @idk and you can download the workshop manual from his signature.

You'll get plenty of help here with questions along the way- some of us are transmission repair experts :roll:

I had that problem, only it was stuck in 1st gear. Fortunately not too far from home and rode home in 1st. I thought that it was the bolt in the transmission, but it turned out to be the detent spring. Check that first before removing the bike from the engine. Instructions are in the link in my signature.

If it just flops up and down, like it's not connected to anything, it's porbably that ****ed little bolt that has come out. Engine must be pulled and split, to get to the bolt. I'm in the process of switching engines in one of my 05's that has the same problem. If I didn't have the spare engine, I swear, I was thinking about using a die grinder with a cutoff wheel, and carefully cutting a square opening in the crankcase, right above where that bolt goes. Replace, (after getting old one out) and make a flat plate to bolt down over the opening when done. Of course you'd have to drop the sump pan, to wash out all the shavings etc. If I had one apart, so I could see exactly where that bolt is, my plan might work, but I'm not cutting into an engine, without knowing for sure. o_O :eek: 😉 :oops: 🤪 :cool:

R3 2020 : I could not change from 3rd into 4th gear and from 4th into 5th gear. Had to decelerate and try again to be able to switch it. it occurred "just" twice.
Hopefully not a serious problem (not like for previous models...?) :(. Maybe after the 1st maintenance and better oil than the original one, it'd go away ?

Besides will have to be quite patient as over here it is currently about 1 mth to 1 mth and a half delay before the dealer is available (as a result of August holidays : dealer closed and the consequence of many riders needed to get their bike maintained after riding in summer). Never had to wait such a long time ! I wish I was advised but even the dealer rep was surprised.
I am upset about this delay since I'll have to cancel 2 out of 3 road trips planned during this mth for not going above the max miles recommended for the 1st maintenance and then it'll be fall i.e. with less opportunities for long road trips :mad: (rain and shorter days).

Last edited:
this problem of changing gears (ref. my previous post) has been occurring only during strong acceleration. The mechanic told me that it is probably due to the original and specific oil prior to the first maintenance (?). Now after the first maintenance, I still can't tell since I cannot ride it due to the covid19 containment :(

Back