TPS or stepper

Irish.

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket 3
Hi.
Bare with me on this question, i did ask it before but still not fixed the problem.
Sometimes when I start the bike either hot or cold it just starts and cuts out and I would have to hold the throttle open a bit to keep it running for a bit before it will idle. Other times it just starts as normal. I presume it’s either tps or stepper ???

If it's a 04-09 era Rocket and the TPS was never replaced then there's a good possibility it is the prob.

Do you have TuneECU?
First thing to do is a TPS / ISCV reset, see if that improves it.
Also worth a squint at the numbers in the throttle balance screen upon startup.
Also spray WD40 in around the throttle bodies springs and linkages.

Next step after all those check out would be replace primary TPS.

Btw whereabouts you located?

If it's a 04-09 era Rocket and the TPS was never replaced then there's a good possibility it is the prob.

Do you have TuneECU?
First thing to do is a TPS / ISCV reset, see if that improves it.
Also worth a squint at the numbers in the throttle balance screen upon startup.
Also spray WD40 in around the throttle bodies springs and linkages.

Next step after all those check out would be replace primary TPS.

Btw whereabouts you located?
Thanks for response. I’m in county Kildare. I don’t have the tune ecu I wouldn’t be confident enough with one probably do more damage than good. The bike is 06 with 6000 miles. I sprayed WD on it before did seem to help for a while so would I be better to change it.

First of all, huge respect for @R-III-R Turbo. He knows one hellofa lot more than I do (check out his videos), but my guess would be the stepper first followed by the TPS IF it runs normally after warmup. Cleaning all linkages with WD-40 is a good start. Having a spare TPS on hand is a good idea, if that turns out not to be the issue.

Other possibilities to consider would be vacuum hose leaks and/or cracked caps on the throttle bodies- if you've gone to a modified air intake (if not the issue, just changing those may make the bike run much better anyway). Also, look for loose secondary coil wires.

Someone put up a similar post just a couple of weeks ago. According to him, it was the fuel pump, but for some reason you don't hear about those going out very often on these bikes.

Ok I give it a go. When I get the cable do I need to download some package
You can either pay for the Android version of TuneECU to use on Android phone or tablet, or use the legacy Windows version for free with a laptop (I can email it to you)

Attachments

• D5C3021F-FF36-45A0-BF16-4F2D4DC395F5.png
    D5C3021F-FF36-45A0-BF16-4F2D4DC395F5.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 18
Back