Towing a Trailer

HansO

Not Taking Life Too Seriously
Ride
08 Rocket III R.I.P now TEX Triumph Explorer
I have noticed another poster complaining about bike going sideways while braking with the back brake and Thought I would try and help him and any other Captain's contiplating towing a trailer my tips are based on my own experence (about 30 to 40,000 km I don't keep track anymore), I currently(it is good to start with an lighter trailer if you are new to towing) tow an extra heavy campertrailer 450kg/990 imperial pounds some of that weight was from my mod's (extended and reinforced drawbar) which help to make it tow better and rest is just the comforts I carry, here's a couple tips that might help-

1/ The most important issue is to keep the correct weight balance on your draw bar always keep about 10% to 15% of trailer weight on the draw bar in my case 450kg trailer I have approx 60kg on the draw bar which brings up the matter of rear suspencion make sure you have heavy enought springing to cope, the trailer should if the draw bar has been set up right have a slight nose down lookabout it, get a friend to have a look from the side when you think you have it right while fully loaded with passenger.

2/ Alignment, most of us asume trailer is built straight but that is always the case and also the draw bar needs to be checked here's an example a mate bought a second hand trailer built by a reputable builder but as it turned out it wasone of the original prototypes, while following him I noticed it pulling slightly to one side and getting a bit of a wiggle when changing lanes, when stopped up the road for fuel I asked him if he felt it moving to which he reply yes but I thought that was normal, I then asked him if he had ever noticed mine moving his answer was no. When got home from the trip I suggested we checked out what was going on and I found two things one that the Trianglation of the draw bar was to one side(25mm/ inch over the lenght) hense pulling to one side and a slight push to one side while braking and that the towbar which against my advise he had welded up out of to lighter gauge steel bar(he wanted to keep it light he's a BMW rider what can I say) hence the wiggle. after I welded some hidden bracing to the draw bar to stiffen it up ( now weighs more than if he had listened to me and just bought the (Classic Ind Tow Bar they have done all the maths for you) we then pulled the chassis of the tailer and started from scratch, it is now pulling straight while I was welding up the new chassis I suggested that a longer draw bar would also give more stability as I had found with my own trailer and a lot of trailers are just built to short in the A frame there for making the weight balance very sensitive (short er lever to fulcrum).

3/ even I assumed the tow bar would be sitting dead centre on the bike but found on my bike it was sitting 5mm to one side so I adjusted it. so even with a well made tow bar you need to check it, I have had Classic to bars on three bikes so far and this was the first so it might be the Triumph chassis? but check it is centred to the rear tyre.

I have towed the camper behind the Rocket with Toyo Proxes tr1 245/55 Darkeside for appox 3,000km's, had to do some heavy braking using both brakes to point of just locking up down in Melbourne when a cager pulled out on me, I did nothave any sideways movement which I attribute to my carefull balanced loading on the draw bar the trailer does not try and lift the rear of the bike and the sticky compound of the Toyo (I bought the Toyo cos the dealer said it had the stickest compound) and yes Ican quite easily still lock up with out the trailer if I try or if I were to jump on the brakes but that getting of the topic.

In conclusion the 3 most important things to remember is
1 Balance Your Load on your draw bar/towbar (slight nose down fully loaded)
2 Alignment make sure every thing is square and in line
3 And most importantly remember to allow extra braking space when traveling in traffic.
these are just my opinions and observations over a lot of Km's :RockOn:

There ya go, I have more of it opened up but they appear to large for uploading, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you some you will be blown away how big it opens out to, it is a Kamparoo made by Cub trailers I have made a few mods if you are interested I can tell you what and how I did them.
Cheers....Hans Pretty Preds.jpg heres another I just found

I watched a youtube video of a similar set up(and its a good one).
I was thinking of something more like this with the optional sides and fitting a 50 litre Waeco ,deep cycle battery and a solar panel.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Flat-Top-4x3-3-Trailer-Kit-/170541022671?pt=AU_Trailers&hash=item27b5097dcf
For a tent I was going to use a Oztent,the 30 second type.
I have everything except the trailer.
Ive already got a camper on the back of my Landcruiser ute ,so I didnt want to replicate it in minature for the bike.

Does the crosswind affect the trailer much?

email sent by PM

I watched a youtube video of a similar set up(and its a good one).
I was thinking of something more like this with the optional sides and fitting a 50 litre Waeco ,deep cycle battery and a solar panel.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Flat-Top-4x3-3-Trailer-Kit-/170541022671?pt=AU_Trailers&hash=item27b5097dcf
For a tent I was going to use a Oztent,the 30 second type.
I have everything except the trailer.
Ive already got a camper on the back of my Landcruiser ute ,so I didnt want to replicate it in minature for the bike.

the trap with the trailer you are looking at is keeping water out and it might be a bit lite and therefore a bit unpreditable on rought roads(bounceing around) I know of a couple of guys that went that way and relised thier error, get a camper for overnight stops without putting the awenings or anxe up it only take a minute and you wont regret it. If you want to carry stuff instead there are lots of options out there Classic industrys make several different sizes and my previous trailer was one of thiers very well made there is also Allilite trailers just to mention 2. One mistake I urge you not to make is trying to your own tow hitch Classic have done all the maths and hard work and worth every cent.
I have two 26 amp/hour gel deep cycle batterys in the compartment charged by 20wt solar pannel (all available at Jacar electronic stores) and I use a Chestcold 50 litre frig/ frezer runs on 240ac/12dc or gas which I use the most. to run a waeco you will need a minimunof 80wt solar pannel just to keep it running not mention chargeing a battery, my battery power is used for chargeing rechageable lights, laptop which doubles as TV and Mobiles, I use gas for cooking and the chestcold and you can put unfrozen stuff in it and freze them

Does the crosswind affect the trailer much?
No I dont have any trouble with crosswinds, but if the trailer you buy sits to high or is to lite it could be a worry
email sent by PM

Hans
Ps let me know if the pictures I sent dont come thru

Pics and email didnt come through unless you were the owner of the African Development Bank that wanted to store his loot in my bank account,then I deleted it.:D

The waeco 50 draws 2-3 amps per hour on average and my 100 amp wet cell can run it for 4 days and it runs the 80 litre waeco for 2 1/2 days.
The fridges shut down when the battery gets to about 10.5v
The solar panel is not a "must have yet",as I usually stay in caravan parks and get a powered site and recharge and run the fridge off the mains.

I was keen on that ebay trailer as Im running out of room with all my other vehicles+ my son's.
Trailer bounce can often be cured by tyre pressure adjustment(or by taking more junk on a trip :D )

Water getting in is not such a problem here,we seem to be in perpetual drought and Im a dry weather rider only.

I also have one of those clam shell type fibreglass campers which will be surplus to my needs when I replace it with a canvass camper on my landcruiser.Its nice and aero dynamic and is ok for overnighters.

I will try to send the pictures againb the reason I asked was that my putor froze when I went to send it and afterwards it showed in my sent folder as being sent but I had my doubts I will try again
Hans

They come through that time except the trailer hitch pics although there was a hitch pic in the 1st lot. Windows wouldnt allow me to open it even when I pressed the "allow" option.
How much is the trailer and tent set up worth to buy?
Is that the same hitch on ebay like the this R3T type?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Triumph-Moto...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5464f452[/QUOTE
That looks like the right tow hitch but I would get it from Classic Industries just to be sure you get the right one and they are great people to deal with also they also offer a chrome one, I wish now that I had gotten but it does cost bit extra, the Kamperoo costs about $9,000 including all the extra canvas, they are probaly one of the if not the strongest well built campers out there the Elite are rubbish and i have seen a few of them having to be reinforced because they are so tinny (crap), as it comes the main unit self erects when you open it up, you will at time see them for sale in the classifieds on the Ulysses Club website
Hans

Back