Resurrecting a thread here - so the consensus is that the rear will look like crap no matter what once it goes? Mine are looking like crap and I was wondering if there was anything one could do to clean it up, short of having the entire rim treated.

Mine are starting to get messed up already (bike new in Sept), cleaning them as much as would be needed to keep them spotless is just too time consuming for me...they are a bit of a let down for an otherwise awesome bike.

I'll likely go through another winter then get them off and sorted out with some form of coating...

Yeah, I guess over the next winter I could have both my alloys chromed. Already working on getting whitewalls for the bike, it will be a letdown to have those and a butt-ugly pitted aluminium wheel. But living out in the sticks it's not a painless process... going to involve shipping two ways so that will double the cost of the actual chroming process regardless of where I send them.

Edit: come to think of it and after looking at alternatives, maybe a chrome-style powdercoat might be a better alternative. Chroming aluminium is pricey...

Last edited:
So far my alloys on the 2011 R3T are holding up well just give them a clean with mild wheel cleaner and chamois dry ,no pitting yet
Margaret phone 4April 101.JPG

Yeah but to be fair 1) you must live in a much drier place than me as I can dry my wheels after cleaning but they'll get wet whilst riding a lot of the time so unless I clean it each time I finish a ride it's back to square one and 2) it looks like you love cleaning your bike thoroughly :)...immaculate I must say!

I seriously haven't got that sort of time on my hands, too many other things going on what with a young family, work and sorting out the house...eventually I will have hardly any chrome or bare metal on the bike over the course of the next few years because it's just easier for me...just wish there were options available from Triumph for the bikes and extras so you can choose the finish to be chrome or black etc. For example I had black rear brackets on the roadster when I bought it but had to move to chrome as that's all there is for the sissy bar bracket kits etc....

Yeah but to be fair 1) you must live in a much drier place than me as I can dry my wheels after cleaning but they'll get wet whilst riding a lot of the time so unless I clean it each time I finish a ride it's back to square one and 2) it looks like you love cleaning your bike thoroughly :)...immaculate I must say!

I seriously haven't got that sort of time on my hands, too many other things going on what with a young family, work and sorting out the house...eventually I will have hardly any chrome or bare metal on the bike over the course of the next few years because it's just easier for me...just wish there were options available from Triumph for the bikes and extras so you can choose the finish to be chrome or black etc. For example I had black rear brackets on the roadster when I bought it but had to move to chrome as that's all there is for the sissy bar bracket kits etc....

Yes I can appreciate what you are saying ,yes I do live in a warmer drier region and as my Family has all grown up and left home ,and I do have a lot of time in my hands ,I have always tried to keep my vehicles tidy , and I have not always had the time to do so , I also have a few other toys a 1959 Ford star model Customline (Aussie only Model they stopped making them in the States in 1956), and a 1979 460 powered F100 XLT long wheel base pickup, and the family V8 Landcruiser ,all are kept as tidy as my bike so you can see I am fully occupied self funded retiree .

While I was waiting for my new tires to come in and the snow to melt, I took the wheels from my VTX to the basement.... they glittered in the sun... but oh the hours standing at the drill press...

backtire.jpg

frontwheel.jpg

100_1679.JPG

While I was waiting for my new tires to come in and the snow to melt, I took the wheels from my VTX to the basement.... they glittered in the sun... but oh the hours standing at the drill press...

Nicely done. I for one was kind of hoping for easier solutions than taking the wheels off and painstakingly polishing the wheels every month or so. :)

This looks pretty intriguing: www.calchrome.com/calchrome_clear.php

After looking at "chrome"-style powdercoat, I'm worried it would look cheesy on the bike, like painting the wheels with silver paint.

I don't want black powdercoat (which, if you're into black, would no doubt look stunning), but normal chrome is kind of fragile as well and required lots of cleaning and waxing.

Of course, the cost... if I got away with less than $1000 for both wheels I'd be surprised, what with shipping, taxes, customs and unforeseen issues. Might be something for the American members. Quick, someone do it to their wheels and report back if it was good or not. :D

Back