rckt3

On the tail of the dragon!
Ride
2005 rocket 3
when I take off from a stop just as I get going and start to accelerate, I'm getting a grinding noise that sounds like a bad bearing coming from the lower left side of the engine, I let off the throttle and it goes away and I get on the throttle again and go through the gears up to cruising speed without any noise. I'm thinking its the bearings on the torsion dampener. I'm accelerating normally (meaning I'm not hammering the throttle.)
Thoughts would be appreciated.

What year is your bike?

I got the up date kit last year for my 06 bike.

Part of it was the rear out put bearing and casing. Seems as if the clearance on the early models was not quite right.

Have you done anything to the out put area lately as if you over torqued the bolts even a lb you can bugger up the bearing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Easy enoygh to check just drop the oil sump pan and look for signe in the rear left.
54046_37cd2c426beaaabae6d0a81362f03495.jpg

54047_6b173fcef7ccda2efcc703a752223a3b.jpg

If there is no debris take the time to clean the screens. Use medium grade thread locker on the screen screws

mine is and '05 model and I haven't had to do anything to the bike yet...other than regular maintenance stuff.

that looks really really bad warp, I don't think mine is like that...yet and I don't want it to!

that looks really really bad warp, I don't think mine is like that...yet and I don't want it to!
You might be catching yours early but still failing. Since its a 05 the front bearing is in backwards anyway. And the rear only gets oil by luck which is why its a double sealed bearing now full if grease. Your choice if uts clean your only out the gasket and oil. Plus you will be amazed at the machining swarf you'll find in the screens.

Easy enoygh to check just drop the oil sump pan and look for signe in the rear left.
54046_37cd2c426beaaabae6d0a81362f03495.jpg

54047_6b173fcef7ccda2efcc703a752223a3b.jpg

If there is no debris take the time to clean the screens. Use medium grade thread locker on the screen screws
That is awful.

Back