I test drove the GT and R. My last Rocket III had more rear wheel HP and torque than either. However, the new Rocket is a much better bike - lighter, smoother, better suspension, better brakes, better looks, and electronics (cornering ABS, traction control). I was crazed about it for weeks. However, I needed either the RT bars on the R or the R foot controls on the GT. For the $27K out the door, it was too impractical, though way fast enough for me. After 2 Rockets, I went to a T120, which after 3 years, had not enough power or performance. At 700 lbs, the new Rocket is still too heavy for me. I don’t like the missing rear fender, rinky dink luggage, and useless tiny wind screen. It’s a big, powerful, naked street fighter. I wound up trading the T120 for a BMW R1250R. Way more performance than the T120, more power (136 hp), similar weight to the T120, super handling and brakes, and great luggage. It’s still a naked bike, the wind is a bit much for me at 70 mph. Looking for a decent screen. VStream looks promising.

I’ll have to find a place to get more serious about finding top end.

Ok the speed may not be reporting actual as measured by GPS I get that. Part of my question is concerning a limited speed by the ECU. I thought I heard it was 135 mph. I would expect that the bike would only be registering it’s indicated speed as on the speedometer. So I have discovered that it is not limited to 135 but I have not found a limit yet. In my first post I did specify “indicated” speed.

How fast it is actually going is a slightly different issue, but one that should be discovered also. I like an occasional burst up to higher speeds but want to live to ride many days so I need good safe roads and conditions to make these discoveries. I’m also averse to going to jail so I need no LEOs in the area.:whitstling:
Speedwell Tn. Straight stretch, no crossroads, slight downhill heading west on 63. Once you pass Citizens bank, hammer down for a clean mile. The little gravel road on the right (1/4 mile west of the bank), is where I spent my summers as a kid. I made 137 in my 79 Z28. Same hp as our Rockets

Last edited:
Speedwell Tn. Straight stretch, no crossroads, slight downhill heading west on 63. Once you pass Citizens bank, hammer down for a clean mile. The little gravel road on the right (1/4 mile west of the bank), is where I spent my summers as a kid. I made 137 in my 79 Z28. Same hp as our Rockets
That’s a good idea but need to know the road is clear of traffic and law enforcement.:sneaky:

I did 130 on my 2005 RIII, speedo corrected, with windshield, lowers, and bags. It was still pulling. You never know if you will pass a cop on the side but you can slow down easily for cars up ahead.

Don't do it Hammer. If the Po Po catches you doing anything over 125 on the freeway chances are you will spend the night in a cell with Cousin Percy and wind up pulling love beads out of your ass for the next weeko_O. Not worth it. Find a racetrack and see what it will do.
That’s good advice.:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: I was doing 130 mph on the old Rocket today.:rolleyes: What I’ll need is a spotter bike up the road scouting it out and reporting on a cell phone. There are no race tracks around here to try the run on.:(

Don't do it Hammer. If the Po Po catches you doing anything over 125 on the freeway chances are you will spend the night in a cell with Cousin Percy and wind up pulling love beads out of your ass for the next weeko_O. Not worth it. Find a racetrack and see what it will do.
Best advice a man can give:thumbsup:

If you really want to know how fast the new R3 is, you can give it a very serious run at the former Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine which now hosts the Loring Timing Association speed runs. The former USAF base was the home of B-52s, affectionately known as a BUF (short for Big Ugly FXXXer). To handle the huge B52s, the runway is around 2.5 miles long and there are various speed events with separate records for 1 mile or 1.5 miles.

It is open for both bikes and cages. I believe the current motorcycle record is 311mph for a very highly modified bike on the 1.5 mile run. Check it out...

About 10 years ago a guy set a new record there of just under 296mph for the 1 mile event and then tried to beat 300mph on a subsequent 1 mile run that day but something happened with the rear wheel at top speed and when he was sliding down the runway at that speed, he unfortunately hit a runway marker light and that killed him instantaneously...

BTW - I live in Maine with a new 2020 R3 and before anyone suggests I do it, at this point in time I already know for a fact that it is WAY fast enough for me...:eek:

They are currently scheduled for 2 multi-day events this summer in mid-July and early September. If you're ever coming up this way, just let me know and we can hopefully meet up.

https://www.loringtiming.com/

Last edited:
If you really want to know how fast the new R3 is, you can give it a very serious run at the former Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine which now hosts the Loring Timing Association speed runs. The former USAF base was the home of B-52s, affectionately known as a BUF (short for Big Ugly FXXXer). To handle the huge B52s, the runway is around 2.5 miles long and there are various speed events with separate records for 1 mile or 1.5 miles.

It is open for both bikes and cages. I believe the current motorcycle record is 311mph for a very highly modified bike on the 1.5 mile run. Check it out...

About 10 years ago a guy set a new record there of just under 296mph for the 1 mile event and then tried to beat 300mph on a subsequent 1 mile run that day but something happened with the rear wheel at top speed and when he was sliding down the runway at that speed, he unfortunately hit a runway marker light and that killed him instantaneously...

BTW - I live in Maine with a new 2020 R3 and before anyone suggests I do it, at this point in time I already know for a fact that it is WAY fast enough for me...:eek:

They are currently scheduled for 2 multi-day events this summer in mid-July and early September. If you're ever coming up this way, just let me know and we can hopefully meet up.

https://www.loringtiming.com/
It is a little to far for me to travel .;) I really should look into a closed course that is closest to me.

Back