Top 3 CTs for the R3

TriumPhil

Living Legend
Ride
'07 Mulberry Red, Carpentered & Bruted R3 Standard
Well, it looks like I'll be joining your ranks shortly as a proud R3 owner. I'm coming off of two VTX 1800s, both of which I ran on the Darkside with B'stone Potenzas.

I'm wondering what are the three most popular or common CTs you folks run on the Rocket? Also, what are the most popular/common CT size being run? Which size keeps you closest to the stock geometry, say on an '07 Standard? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have run the Riken Raptor 225/55 ZR 16 for the last 4500 miles the price is about $90 at Summit. It's a good running tire and the slightly larger than stock diameter helps to correct the speedo error.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Lester. I hope that my thread isn't just another retread (pun intended) of the same old thing.;)

I'm running with Lester.
Riken Raptor,225X55X16,
for exactly the same reasons,
that and the cost,
the mileage,
the no slipping in water,
and the fine "look" of it.

C'mon guys and gals! Surely, there are more than just a couple of respondants to my query. I'd like to hear of some of the pluses and minuses between several of the more commonly used CTs on the Rocket. What say ye, Darksiders?:p

Hey XH, I have been running a Yokohama 245/50/16 for the last 15k, but I think I will go to the 225 this winter. Should handle a little easier at low speeds, although I don't have any trouble with the 245.
Here is a pic.

164.jpg

I haven't put mine on yet but I decided on the 245/50 ZR16 Goodyear Eagle F1 @ $175. The word is that it might rub slightly under certain conditions but no one can say for sure.
The second choice was going to be the Yokahama ES100 in the same size. I saw it listed at Tire Rack for $113
I'm waiting to use up the Metz before I get the Eagle installed so it might be awhile before I can put in my results.

Mighty curious handle, but I'll bite.

CT preferences have been 245/50, 225/50 and 55, as well as 205/55; that I'm aware of; keep in mind I frequently run around in my unawares. The Goodyear Eagle, Riken Raptor, and Cooper Zeon 2Xs prevail. The 225/50 Raptor or Zeon seem to be most opted for. When I go for my second darkside CT Ill likely go with a higher tread wear rating than the 280 on my Zeon.

Last edited:
There are about 10 or more that are running the Riken Raptor. I, too, run the 225/55R16. With over 13,000 miles on it, it still looks brand new. I would have gone through 2 Metz by now.

Here's a view of it in action on the Tail of the Dragon last month.

Tdragger, is that not S directly in front of you. The cowherd from KY?
I run the225 /50. Its about 0.25 less in the total radius of the a stocker Metz. I compensate with a Tuneboy. And it runs right on! Its also about a total 1/2" lesser in width. Plenty of wiggle room. I believe the 245/50 will come close to 1/8" and no more clearances on neither the shaft nor the swing arm.

Last edited:
Back