PianoMan

Nitrous
I've used GPS in my van for several years and finally got one for the R3. I like the TomTom units for their large screen area. Makes it a lot easier to activate buttons on the screen. I also get a kick out of having John Clease (Monty Python) as the voice. Thought you all would enjoy an unofficial promo video at the link below:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lPtDxRzeYiY

My new, pre-ordered and not in the country yet Guzzi Norge has a Tom-Tom with a bluetooth wireless standard. The screen is weatherproof and it's a touchpad. I may figure out how to use it with Pig9r's help.

It may be too intimidating for me. If so, I'll cover the screen with duct tape.:D

Good ol' duct tape, fixes most any thing that need fixin'. Even hides things you don't want to see.

Tom Tom

Be careful with the Tom Tom, it may be water resistant but not water proof. Another choice to look at is the Garmin 376. The main advantage to it is you can get NEXRAD with it (have to have subscription to XM....might be Sirius by now about $30 per month) so you can also track the weather you may run into and it is waterproof.
I have also heard great things on the Tom Tom, just not sure if it is as waterproof as you might like.
Dennis

Garmin Zumo

I don't know about Tom Tom, but I have the motorcycle specific Garmin Zumo. I can vouch for it's waterproof qualities, having survived some Florida tropical storms. It has Bluetooth so your phone works through it as well as MP3s, satellite radio and the new traffic warning radio system. It's definitely worth a look.

Be careful with the Tom Tom, it may be water resistant but not water proof. Another choice to look at is the Garmin 376. The main advantage to it is you can get NEXRAD with it (have to have subscription to XM....might be Sirius by now about $30 per month) so you can also track the weather you may run into and it is waterproof.
I have also heard great things on the Tom Tom, just not sure if it is as waterproof as you might like.
Dennis

I don't know about Tom Tom, but I have the motorcycle specific Garmin Zumo. I can vouch for it's waterproof qualities, having survived some Florida tropical storms. It has Bluetooth so your phone works through it as well as MP3s, satellite radio and the new traffic warning radio system. It's definitely worth a look.

Dennis, usaf08,
Can you update your maps for free or is there a charge with the Garmin.
Having a weather tracking capabilities seems a must on a bike. Thanks guys.:)

Garmin updates

Yep, Garmin updates just require going to their website and plugging your GPS into a USB port on your computer. It reads your operational software as well as your maps and automatically updates the works. They even email you to tell you when updates are there.

Agree

I agree with usafo8. That is perceived to be one of the weakness of the standard Honda Nav unit, the fact that you can't hook it up to a computer and load routes and update. So far I do not know of a new update for the "Honda" GPS. However it is perfectly fine for my uses, ie: it shows me where I am at and how to get to where I want to go.

As far as weather tracking goes, I believe only the Garmin 376, 476 and 478 offer that capability and again you have to have a subscription to XM to get it. The differences in the above are the 376 comes with the XM antenna to receive the NEXRAD capability. The 476 and 478 do not, you have to buy it separate. However the 376 does not come with preloaded City Navigator (whatever the current version is) and has to be purchased separately (I guess it has a basic mapping capability built in). The 476 and 478 come with City Navigator, and one is more detailed for land use, and the 478, I believe, is more detailed in marine use (lakes, rivers, etc...).

Dennis
17 days to go.

I worked for a plumber once who did other work as well and we actually used duct tape for duct work it was amazing first time ever, LOL.

Freak

Back