What the heck happened to the old Rand McNally?

Probably have the last copy in the Smithsonian

Rand Mcnally maps are great. The problem is, they only help you if you know WTF you are. :)

I've gotten lost on some backwoods roads in West va that didn't have names. I didn't speak the local langauge...and I was starting to get the "you look like Ned Beatty" eyes from some of the local sophisticates. The GPS told me exactly where I was and how to get back to civilization and tooth brushes.

I have the Garmin Quest 2 I have been using it for over a year and like it a lot. It is shock proof as well as waterproof.

Rand Dumb solution

My problem was two fold ( probably more but I won't admit to it )

First, trying to read the map while riding was not an option. It took both hands to keep the map open and on the right page. I just never got into balancing the R3 with no hands.

Second, for me to stop would take 10 minutes to turn off all the electronics and take off enough gear to be able to easily peruse my surroundings would almost always put a halt to my arriving at my destination in a timely fashion.

There you have it. When all else fails and you don't know what to do...... throw money at it and someone will have a gadget you just have to have right now.

Weather update from K.C. 73 yesterday - 36 today I GIVE UP!

I've got a Garmin StreetPilot.

I got the motorcycle harness from Garmin and connected it to a relay so that I can 'turn off all of my electronics' when I turn off the bike.

When I turn the bike back on, everything turns on...

I never ws much for the reading and riding... my wife says it's that I can't do two things at once. :D :eek:

I don't buy it though

Back