Tips on cleaning engine block

Yeah the acid wash will leave it aluminium dull.

I think the Flitz polishing balls on a stick may just be the best approach. They have big 4-5 inch ones that if used with an extender should be able to reach behind the massive brake disc even while the wheels are on the bike.

One of that you pull the bike onto and you can roll the wheels to clean.

I got one of those from a German outfit. It was much less useful than I thought. Get a center stand from http://www.flipmeisters.com/ that lifts the bike at the center of balance and you should get the rear in the air, or the front if you put something under the engine block.

A wheel roller on a bike this heavy makes the wheel very hard to turn.

Ideally you want a bike lift that hoists the bike into the air with hydraulics so you don't have to crawl around on the floor.

I found a decent solution today. Wet sanded the stupid laquer coating off. All the oxidation was underneath it so nothing was working! After that, they polished up to a beautiful shine.
It only took you a day?:evil::D

Would take me a LOT longer to do that wet sanding chore.

Here's the front! Rear is a huge pain to polish, not much fits down in there after stripping them down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1
Been using FWI Cleaning Wax with Carnauba spray for a few years now. Lifts built-up dirt and grime .. good for paint , chrome , glass and plastic. Problem is they only sell it through pop-up shops in servos and shopping centres (stall usually manned by really tall skinny Ethiopian types that probably never driven anything other than an ox and cart :cautious:).. US made product .. website www.fw1.com.au lists where stalls are going to be. Great product but a little expensive. $45 for two 500 gram cans best I've weaselled them down to.

@TOMCAT its a great product. I used it a lot in the states. Best waterless wash I've ever come across. Unfortunately, they don't have a distributor here in Germany and it can't be shipped in individual quantities :(
I looked into becoming a distributor here, 10,000 units up front...a little out of my league, particularly with the legal issues of not being a German citizen.
In the states they have the same pop-ups, but you can also order online by the case.

Been using FWI Cleaning Wax with Carnauba spray for a few years now. Lifts built-up dirt and grime .. good for paint , chrome , glass and plastic. Problem is they only sell it through pop-up shops in servos and shopping centres (stall usually manned by really tall skinny Ethiopian types that probably never driven anything other than an ox and cart :cautious:).. US made product .. website www.fw1.com.au lists where stalls are going to be. Great product but a little expensive. $45 for two 500 gram cans best I've weaselled them down to.
an old favorite Mr sheen , cleans shine and protect foams and lifts dirt ,been using it on my 23 yo gpz900 for 23 years and people think i just repainted it but nope its all original and around $4.50

Back