Throttle position sensor issue

I don't know much about tuneECU so others will have to help you with that. All I did was list the things that I did whenever the high idle problem came up. One of the problems with having someone else do the work is you can never be sure it was done, or done properly. The only things the dealer has ever done to my bike is check the valves at 10k, upgrade the tune and change out fork seals.

Your 05 only has 12 thousand miles. Maybe it is just frustrated and pissed off!;)

Lol Yeah its coming second best to a 7 month low mileage baby boy at the minute!

Daz

High idle is fairly common with the early Rockets, mine included. First make sure you have the correct tune for your set up. There was a recall due to idle issues, so make sure your bike has had the idle upgrade. Do a search.

Make sure all your electrical connections are good, battery, ground cable, etc. Clean up the connection point where the positive cable attaches to the starter and also where the ground cable attaches to the frame.

Clean the Crank Angle Sensor. This is important. That little bugger has been the cause of many performance issues. It is easy to do, takes about five minutes. Do a search.

Check the main fuse. There is a high load on it and it can melt. Do a search for main fuse, or melted main fuse. Even if it looks good, change it out and see if that helps. Recently my bike was running like **** and all I did was change out the main fuse to fix it.

Lubricate the throttle cables and especially the linkage.

Lubricate the idle stepper motor.

If none of the above help, then it could be the TPS, or your idle stepper motor is shot.

That kind of info needs to go in Rocket3 Tech too. Great advice !!!!!!!

Also clean and lube the springs in between the throttle bodies if one sticks up it messes with the whole sysstem. as it will send different vacumm readings via map sensor to one of the Lamba tables while the others are reading something else. Keep in mind we are in a time where the winter to summer fuel is being altered and you might not be getting a consistant fuel grade.

Thanks to Warp and Wayne Tripp I think my problem with high idle is fixed.

I sprayed some lube on the rod of the step motor, under the rubber boot and no high idle. I still need to reset the adaptives through TuneECU but so far so good.
The bike would run normal on cool mornings but warmer evenings it would idle at 2000 rpms. I would have to shut the bike off then restart and most of the time it would run normally.

HI Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies so far.
Im buying the cable recommended on the tuneECU website later this week, and then will be going mad with some WD40 checking and oiling everything to make sure its all well, and having a look at the crank sensor for bits of metal.

Just a few more questions, then i think i will be done. As i understand it, the dodgy TPS are reostats and the replacements are variable resistors. Is this correct?

Also, if i do have one thats getting a bit iffy, will it show up on tune ecu as a sticky voltage change as i open the throttle? what i mean is rather than a smooth increase in voltage as the TPS moves, would it pause at a figure and then jump, or something like that, or am i just over thinking this?

I never had the fault at cold, i would start the bike, it would run on high revs till warm, then drop down again, but once on the road, when the engine had got hot, it would then develop the fast idle.

Turning off the ignition and restarting wouldnt get rid of it, as as soon as you went over 2-2.5k rpm it would stick again, but if when waiting at trafiic lights, you gave it a good few blips of the throttle, it would drop down again until you got going and got back above 2-2.5k.

Thanks for sharing all your wisdom with me chaps!!!

Daz

Back