Throttle position sensor issue

dazzybabie

.020 Over
Hi All,

Reading previous posts, it seems I have a defunctive throttle position sensor.
Basically, has anyone any experience of replacing it themselves, using tuneECU?

Has there been a thread about this, or perhaps a sticky somewhere that I have missed.
I have looked through the service manual, so have an idea about all the voltages etc, but just wondered if it is possible to do.

I really would appreciate any info/experience on this, part numbers etc.

If it helps anyone im in the UK.

Many Thanks in advance...

Daz

The Primary TPS is located on the right side of the throttle bodies as your facing the engine. It is held on by one screw and one electrical plug. HOWEVER, to get to the plug, you have to remove all of the intake plumbing from under the tank. Once you've done this, replacing the TPS is easy, and you can even re-route the wiring so you can get to the plug next time, if necessary.

TuneECU pretty much walks you through resetting the Primary TPS. It is a simple procedure. Basically, loosen the screw for the TPS, move the TPS so that the voltage number is correct, I believe TuneECU gives you this number. Then tighten the screw. Then run the TPS reset utility in TuneECU. I'm sure someone will be along to describe it better, but it's not hard at all. The hard part is getting to the Primary TPS to begin with!

Baxter's in Iowa had them in stock when I ordered mine. Better price then any of the dealers here in the Houston area that did not have them. Installing is easy once unplugged. It is a good idea to make a small spacer that fits in between the TPS sensor and the throttle body. Like a washer. Just where the bolt is, not the whole sesnor. Soda can will work fine for this. It is not very thick but it will keep the TPS from cocking when the one bolt is tighten. This will keep it level and will last longer over time.

I have an 05 and there have been several times I THOUGHT I needed a new TPS after searching the forum, but it always turned out to be something else. The Rocket electrical system is fickle and prone to bugs. I would try to work out the easy bugs before replacing the TPS. The last bug that I thought for sure was the TPS was just a worn out, but still intact, main fuse. I didn't even know a fuse could wear out, I thought they were either off or on.....:confused: Still have the original primary TPS after 94 thousand miles.

What symptoms are causing you to think you need a new TPS?

Basically, the everythings fine at startup, but once warm, the revs stick at about 2000 - 2500 which can be quite frightening when trying to slow for a roundabout. as your trying to brake against the engine so you have to clutch in.

when your sat stationary it quite happily runs at the high RPM, and random blipping of the throttle will bring it back down.

That's what makes me think the TPS.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Daz

Basically, the everythings fine at startup, but once warm, the revs stick at about 2000 - 2500 which can be quite frightening when trying to slow for a roundabout. as your trying to brake against the engine so you have to clutch in.

when your sat stationary it quite happily runs at the high RPM, and random blipping of the throttle will bring it back down.

That's what makes me think the TPS.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Daz

High idle is fairly common with the early Rockets, mine included. First make sure you have the correct tune for your set up. There was a recall due to idle issues, so make sure your bike has had the idle upgrade. Do a search.

Make sure all your electrical connections are good, battery, ground cable, etc. Clean up the connection point where the positive cable attaches to the starter and also where the ground cable attaches to the frame.

Clean the Crank Angle Sensor. This is important. That little bugger has been the cause of many performance issues. It is easy to do, takes about five minutes. Do a search.

Check the main fuse. There is a high load on it and it can melt. Do a search for main fuse, or melted main fuse. Even if it looks good, change it out and see if that helps. Recently my bike was running like **** and all I did was change out the main fuse to fix it.

Lubricate the throttle cables and especially the linkage.

Lubricate the idle stepper motor.

If none of the above help, then it could be the TPS, or your idle stepper motor is shot.

Funnly enough, not long ( a few months before) the fault arose, i had the bike serviced at my local dealer (webbs of lincoln UK) as i had developed a bit of a misfire which turned out to be a shot spark plug.

It was only the 12000 mile service, but they did adjust and lube up the throttle cables, and they also updated the tune, which is a standard tune as apart from the cat being removed its standard in every way.

SO some more questions,

Would tuneecu be able to tell me if the TPS/stepper motor is playing up?
i seem to think have the tps that is likely to give up, as i read somewhere that old ones have blue packing or something and new ones have black.

Again, thanks for your help!

Daz

I don't know much about tuneECU so others will have to help you with that. All I did was list the things that I did whenever the high idle problem came up. One of the problems with having someone else do the work is you can never be sure it was done, or done properly. The only things the dealer has ever done to my bike is check the valves at 10k, upgrade the tune and change out fork seals.

Your 05 only has 12 thousand miles. Maybe it is just frustrated and pissed off!;)

Back