Thinking about getting a new bike....

Super D.

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3 Standard Black, Flyscreen
I'M KEEPING THE R3T:D. Now that that is out of the way, I am debating on getting either a used KLR650, or a DR650. I am looking for anyone out there that has/had one and can give me some info. I know that they are both great bikes, but I am having a hard time choosing.

Haven't owned either, but I've got a friend with a 2006 KLR with VERY low miles that he's looking to sell. That's the last year before the remake, I believe some feel its preferable to the new models.

If you end up wanting the KLR, let me know and I'll get a price from him. I know its in perfect condition with several of the more common mods already done.

I have an 08 KLR 650 that I am happy with after several mods. It has better wind protection than the older pre-08 models and also better brakes, and wider, more sturdy, front forks. From what I have read, the KLR650 is street oriented and the DR650 is dirt oriented.

The stock KLR front and rear suspension is pathetic on any model and will need to be changed out if you want a decent bike. That and a stainless steel front brake line will really improve the handling and braking, so much it will seem like a different bike. Replacing the enormous front fender with a more aerodynamic one helps also. The rest are just comfort, protection, and performance mods.

Its a fun bike and I would take it on long trips except for one thing, crosswinds. I am so used to casually cruising through even the severest crosswinds in my Rocket that I have been spoiled. I just don't want to work that hard, so the KLR stays close to home and the Rocket does the touring.

Haven't owned either, but I've got a friend with a 2006 KLR with VERY low miles that he's looking to sell. That's the last year before the remake, I believe some feel its preferable to the new models.

If you end up wanting the KLR, let me know and I'll get a price from him. I know its in perfect condition with several of the more common mods already done.

Harry,
If you can get me a price and the milage, that would be great. Like I said, I am just looking/pricing right now.... but if the right deal comes along, I will pull the trigger.
Thanks,
D.

The KLR 650 has pretty much set the standard for that type of bike. The DR 650 has a much smaller gas tank. I have friends with KLR 650s and they are fun little bikes!.. They are basically bullet proof and people tour all over the world on them. I'm sure Flip will comment on here in a while... He has both a Rocket and a KLR 650..

My only concern would be the same as Ugarte mentioned... A light bike can get blown around A LOT with cross winds and such..

Back