Thinking about a new ADV bike

stingray

Nitrous
Ride
'21Rocket 3GT, '17 KTM 1290 SDGT, '04 Goldwing
I've been looking at something to ride in the pastures to check cows and fences. I keep coming back around to the CB500X. I like the new look. Never had a bad Honda. But looking at the Rancher 4x4 also for what I need.

Last edited:
I've looked at the Kawasaki Tenure and the Triumph Tiger but the Honda keeps drawing me back. The new Ducati DesertX is very interesting.

Honda's are bullet proof. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you need it for on the Ponderosa. A smaller engine and smaller bike would be easier for the kind of work your looking at in my humble opinion. Just hop on and go. None of this, turn on switch for power, wait for sweep, wait for 'N' light, decide what mode you're in. Just get on and go. (Do they make those kind anymore?):thumbsup:

If you really just want something to “ride in the pastures to check cows and fences” that Honda might be overkill - or rather a bit too nice. What about a Royal Enfield Himalayan? Light, fun, cheap, good robust luggage options (for fencing gear/tools) and pretty cool in a utilitarian sort of way.
On the other hand if you’re looking to do a little bit more on the adventure side then there’s nothing better than a Tiger 800/900/1200 although the Tenere 700 is pretty good and something you’d be more inclined to chuck around.

I guess going back to where I started. I started off riding my cousins Trail 70 in the 60's. My first two bikes were enduros. I started off with a Aermacchi Harley Davidson 125 Rapido two stroke that had the two rear sprockets for street or trail riding. Then I moved to a Honda SL 125 four stroke that didn't take mixing the fuel. I rode the wheels off those two "dirt" bikes until I got the Suzuki GT380 in high school then a Honda CM400T. I always missed riding in the dirt since. Right now I use a Jeep to do fence duty but it is overkill on most days. A small bike would do on most days. I guess I'm just overwhelmed at the options today.

Last edited:
So many cool bikes and you can only pick one (or do you), I know it sounds unmanly but I always wanted a little Vespa type scooter to just putt on for fun. Probably from all of the Gidget and Italian movies I watched as a kid. I have said it before and I will again. Riding a Vespa is like riding a chubby chick, it's as fun as hell but you don't want your friends to see you on either.;)

Well hot as hell. These guys are everywhere. IDK about the Enfield seems low on power.
hot scorpions.jpeg
scorpion.jpeg

Back