The Price of Gas...

I run only 93 octane made from chicken beaks (Fritos).

Ours hit $2.80 over the weekend. It does cut down on the traffic. I spent almost $15 for lawnmower gas last weekend. The homeowners association is just going to have to get used to bi weekly lawn mowings.

It costs about 2.50 per gallon to make ethanol from corn and the like which actually contributes to our current price. On the brighter side the absolutely humungo shale oil deposits in Colorado and other states can now affordably be taken and I heard is in the works. Back in the 80's when the gas price started dropping it put the fledgling oil shale companies right out of business.

Back in the late seventies they came out to nc and did geologic surveys with a truck that pounded the ground. They said that there was oil down there, [On my family farm.] but very deep and hard to get. Hmmmmm......

wilbur-t said:
Back in the late seventies they came out to nc and did geologic surveys with a truck that pounded the ground. They said that there was oil down there, [On my family farm.] but very deep and hard to get. Hmmmmm......

There is oil like that all over the US. But instead of investing in methods to get to that oil while we develop alternatives to it, we continue to invest in middle eastern countries who hate our guts and will always hate our guts unless we all convert to Islam--never mind that a few of them pretend to be our friends as they take billion$ from our pockets.

I think the US strategy is to suck the Mid-East dry of oil first then lean on their own resources. I wonder how much attention would be paid to the Middle East if they were bone dry? The US does actually hold a lot of the world's biggest reserves. As far as ethanol, it takes more energy to convert corn, sugar etc to ethanol than it produces, so it's not an efficient way to make fuel however it is a good way to help wean us off of oil. It is affordable because of government subsidies. I think hydrogen and other fuel cells would be the way to go. If you could get a large portion of some of the larger populated countries in the world into such vehicles the Middle East would be begging to give us oil.

But we all knew these days were coming. One positive side effect to the higher prices is that there is now an economic incentive to develop other technologies and other methods of extracting oil from the ground. We should all know by now things have to reach a crisis situation before something will be done.

Hondax said:

It costs about 2.50 per gallon to make ethanol from corn and the like which actually contributes to our current price. On the brighter side the absolutely humungo shale oil deposits in Colorado and other states can now affordably be taken and I heard is in the works. Back in the 80's when the gas price started dropping it put the fledgling oil shale companies right out of business.

Domestically we screwed ourselves or should i say the politicians did by giving in too dramatically and too quickly to environmental interest groups. There i said it!!:eek:

IF the shale/deep deposit oil industry gets real serious again, you can expect OPEC to magically get together and decide to lower prices again...long enough to put them out of business again. Just like pushers will wave some free dope in front of the junkie who just did rehab. Will we be smart enough THIS time to just say NO to both cheap oilmongering from the OPEC pushers AND the enviro-jihadists? :confused:

Great read folks,.....keep it coming. Update on the shale oil reserves: The amount of shale oil in the mountain states equals the oil in the middle east, but.......but it's not on the table as a source of oil for the same reason Anwar(sp?) reserves in Alaska are off limits,.....big fat freaking weenie politico's afraid of losing the next election because of the ecological damage myth created by the Environmental Interest Groups. Gosh they must have a powerful lobby......:mad:

The very earliest possible date for "affordable" hydrogen power is 25 to 30 years. This is based on every dang website of interest and some great shows on the subject. However, the higher the oil goes the quicker we convert to hydrogen. This in no way stops or halts oil production in the Middle East cuz plastic is oil. Islam will always have food for their camels, but the palaces may be downsized a tad......

My my what a predicament we are in.......6 months from elections and both sides are too afraid to bust a move.....how fokking sad......

Back