The Coronado Trail, a two hour (more or less) roller coaster ride!

Azisbest

Turbocharged
Ride
2020 GT
Or as most visitors call it the Devils Highway. A few of us are doing it this weekend and I am just trying to endure work so I can get to the twisties. For those unfamiliar with this road it is oficially route 191. This particular part in eastern Arizona specifically the stretch between Morenci and Alpine. About 90 miles almost without a straight stretch nor any pesky guardrails. Of course the lack of guardrails allows the possibility of a thousand or so foot fall if you dont hit a tree first on the way down. Also very likely is seeing elk (almost guaranteed), bighorn sheep (probably a 50/50 chance), deer (two kinds), wolves, bear, or mountain lion (not likely, very nocturnal). You go from the desert to high alpine forest (close to 10,000ft) with wild temperature changes (Sunday, according to the weatherman, we will leave in the morning at 39f up to 92f later in the afternoon down at lower elevations). This is not a weather front of any kind just a result of altitude change and very low humidity. This is the kind of place made for the Rockets, their brute hp and torque in combination with the tight twisties and steep climbs allow you to keep up or pass all but the best of the sport bike riders. I have never had another cruiser come close to keeping up with my Rocket here. None of the other guys riding with me have been to this area before so showing them what it is all about will be a hoot as well. Anyway, sorry to drone on but I am going a bit bonkers waiting for the weekend to get here. If you are ever in the area dont pass up this ride.

I rode this road last November on my ride to Leakey, Texas.
Alpine, AZ to Morenci, AZ - It was so spectacular in all ways (twisties, scenery, pavement condition) that I rode a couple hundred miles out of my way to ride it again in the opposite direction! I preferred the north to south route by a small amount.
Another not to miss ride in that area is the run up and down Mt. Lemmon!

I rode this road last November on my ride to Leakey, Texas.
Alpine, AZ to Morenci, AZ - It was so spectacular in all ways (twisties, scenery, pavement condition) that I rode a couple hundred miles out of my way to ride it again in the opposite direction! I preferred the north to south route by a small amount.
Another not to miss ride in that area is the run up and down Mt. Lemmon!
If you love the Mt. Lemmon ride try the Mt. Graham ride. About the same length but twistier and with much less traffic! Just outside of Safford Az.

If you love the Mt. Lemmon ride try the Mt. Graham ride. About the same length but twistier and with much less traffic! Just outside of Safford Az.

Was going to do it last Nov., but I missed the turn off somehow.
Next time around for sure..

Rode it several years ago on my DL1000 while visiting forum member Elcanaco at his winter place in Mesa. We rode to Alpine, staying overnight at the lodge/motel on the edge of town. We awoke to a temp of 28 deg F and frost on the bikes. we had a vreat breakfast at an old restaurant in town that is popular with the locals an visiting elk hunters, several of which we met at the tavern the previous evening.

By the time we set out at about 0930 the temp had risen to above freezing. initially the ride could be described as near treacherous with ice still on the road in the still shaded areas. What a blast it was though and one of the best rides I'd done.

The only down side was arriving at the bottom and viewing the horrific open pit copper mine.

What a ride it is and love to do it again.

Edit: I typed this earlier and when I went to post it found that the forum was down for maintenance. Glad it was saved. Not to steal the thread but a couple of pics. Hint, in the first one this is not a German Shepard. The title of pic is Wolfman. This guy was sitting outside my door as we got ready to depart.
AZ 048 Wolfman.jpg
And the go to place for breakfast in Alpine
AZ 051 (1408 x 1056).jpg
That's Elcanaco and my DL1000. What a great bike it was.
AZ 056 (1408 x 1056).jpg
The open pit mine on the valley floor.
AZ 064 (1408 x 1056).jpg
And of course we stopped for a cold one on the way home. It's absolutely shocking how some of these Arizona bar maids dress when they go out in public. Shocking I say.
Girls of AZ 4 RF.jpg

Everytime The Coronado Trail is mentioned I cringe!
I had real good Video of my entire fang over it in both directions.
Fubar'd and deleted it fussin' with my Go-Pro in the motel.
Gonna Cry.jpg Crying.jpg

755480DF-026D-49FF-9A31-8303AF19B800.jpeg
This was in the Salt River Canyon on the ride to the Coronado Trail. I did not do a very good job of capturing the road but I am standing on the next level up on the switch backs and there are more above me. I need to get my drone out and try to do a better job of it. There is actually a bridge to the right that crosses the river.

Back