Thank God for extended warranty+letting me live to use it

Pegasus

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket Roadster
Took my '05 Rocket to the shop because it was leaking coolant and felt clunky at slow speed. Turns out the coolant leak was from a bad radiator cap, but what else the mechanic found puckered me up good :!:

Turns out my right hand wheel bearing was shot and had allowed the rear wheel to shift to the right on the axel so it was wobbling slightly. The mechanic also found that the axel was bent and the brake caliper had been scratching the rotor.

Prior to taking it to the shop, Deb and I had taken a day ride around Lake Tahoe and back and until I noticed the coolant leak had been doing 85-90 mph. The Angels that ride with us could be the only thing that kept the rear end from locking up at 85+ mph :shock:

This is the second time I've had to have a rear wheel bearing replaced...and cush drive rubbers. My $600 extended warranty (4 more years) has already paid for itself 1 1/2 times over and this current repair will exceed $1200 easily :!:

Glad it was caught for sure... I don't think you would have had a wheel lockup in any case, but who knows... Did you hear any strange noises??? I would think you would have...

Mike...

Mike, it probably would depend on how bent the axel got, but I haven't seen it yet. I didn't hear anything...the bike just didn't feel smooth at slow speeds.

Steve: Glad nothing serious happened. I'd hate to lose a "good Attorney"! There are so few of them! :D Hope everything gets sorted quickly for you.

Native One

Yikes Steve, that could have been a real disaster. Thankfully it was not.

It is most odd that you've had wheel bearings go out twice. It sounds as if they did not get properly lubed.

The extended warranty was through Western Service Contract Corp. and I got it when my Rocket was about 8-9 months old through my dealer. $600 for 4 additional years with no deductible. You're supposed to get them when you buy the bike, but my dealer vouched for the fact that my Rocket was in good shape and had been taken care of by him so they sold it to me.

Back