Taillight removal

Easy Guys, don't get so testicle!!! :wink:

Sorry for the delay, this is the first time I've been back to a computer since my last post, took the Wife and "Blackie" out for a long ride today!

Yes the lens is glued in, you can use a heat gun and be VERY methodical and the glue will soften and turn loose before the plastic is damaged. This is how we remove graphite golf shafts without damaging them, use care however!

I used a 2004 - 2008 Yamaha Road Star assembly from Clear Alternatives as it is the closest shape to the Rocket assembly. I used the chrome tail light housing from the Rocket and grafted the Yamaha assembly into it using 2 part epoxy. I then simply painted the housing black to match my bike. Since I was going to paint the housing it made it easy for me to sand the epoxy to the shape I wanted. Then I just masked off the light and painted the housing. You do have to remove enough of the Yamaha assembly that you must be sure that the epoxy reseals the unit. I haven't had any condensation or other moisture problems and I've been in some driving rain storms with "Blackie".

Red, glad to see you went for it and it seems you got a good look, I'm impressed!

I just wanted a clear lens to go with every other lens on my bike and this was the only way I could find to get it done. The tail light has integrated blinkers and since I still have incandescent bulbs for my blinkers I didn't need to install a resistor and the signals still blink at the same time intervals.

Hope this helps and if anyone else decides to give it a go just shout if you have any questions.

P.S. No disrespect intended on the "wimp" remark! :oops:

Regards, Lonnie

LONZOL THANKS!!! NONE TAKEN!! YOU DID A FINE JOB ON YOUR R3 AND I THOUGHT OF THE HEAT GUN THING BUT DECIDED I DIDN'T WANT TO GO THAT FAR AND DIDN'T NEED TO. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND THE IDEAS!!! :wink:

Back