Taillight removal

Don't believe those wimps Red. The tailight will come apart and the lens will come out, see below. Then your bike can have a pretty LED, clear lens, intergrated blinker tailight just like Blackie! Go for it!!!

Just do it!!!
Regards, Lonnie

Lonnie,
Is the lens glued on? Will taking it apart unseal it in some way? Do you get any moisture/condensation? Where did you get the clear lens? Thanks! :wink:

Good on ya Red. What size drill bit did you use? I am curious as to why you removed the lens assembly in the first place if all you had to do was drill it out. It seems that one could just pull the bulb receptacle in order not to drill into the bulb, drill the hole and insert the blue dot.

Ya dont want to slip with that drill bit and pin stripe the rear fender eh redrock ? good on ya for giving it a go bro. When I get back from aussie I post some pics of the headers I made up for my turbo project.

I used a 1/2" drill bit and a dremel for the rest. I didn't insert the blue dot into the tailight like i wanted to (which is why I wanted to seperate the lens from the housing so I could recess the blue dot into the lens and do a good job of sealing it off without seeing any glue when the taillight illuminates. I made a hole that was the same size as the actual lens that you see through not the whole diameter of the blue dot, there's a raised lip around the outside of the lens of the blue dot. The acual hole in the taillight lens is about a 1/8" smaller all the way around than the blue dot for good glue contact (notice I scuffed it up around the hole for the glue). There's the matter that drilling makes dust and I didn't want dust all inside the housing and on the silver reflective surfaces, etc. I hooked a small rubber tube to my vac to suck anything out but even after doing that static-electric dust remained (Another reason for removing the lens). The hole has to be drilled because enough light won't get through (if you just glue it to the outside) to cause the blue light effect that's desired w/ the blue dot. Taking it apart would of been more desirable but I tested it tonight and it looks good and the blue effect is there. I am going to try a LED 1157 bulb tomorrow and see how that looks. I also considered getting some exterior lights (just brake lights) and installing them into my Bettle Bags but haven't found anything LED or Halogen yet that would look good on the bags.

OK Lonzol this wimp is willing to learn. Anything you want to share on where the lens came from and how to remove it from the housing? And I see you didn't worry about scoring any chrome , so hot knife, dremel tool , saw etc.
LET's HAVE IT :!:

Back