Taillight removal

redrocket

Supercharged
Anyone ever removed the taillight on the R3. I would appreciate instructions before I start tearing it apart. There seems to be 2 sets of 4 bolts, 4 superficially and 4 more interior. I want to take the lens off to install a small diamond blue lens in it. I had a set of 3 of them on my hardley and it really brightened up the back end and gave a really cool blue/purple hue to it, very eye catching and more visable. I will very carefully drill and dremel it out and Marinetex the blue lens in and it will be as solid and strong as the original.

Red I just checked the electrical system section of my shop manual and it has an illustration and a procedure to replace the tail light bulb, which is done from inside the fender. It shows two sets of fasteners, what appears to be four nuts on the outside of the assembly which are attached to a bracket and three or four larger bolts. It is a lousy drawing with it appearing that that there are only three in the larger set but that could be a mistake in the illustration. The illustration shows that smaller outer fasteners, the nuts, are attached to a bracket that goes up and off the illustration, while the larger ones look to be penetrating the fender. Again, it is a cruddy drawing with nothing labeled but the light bulb receptical and it does not cover the housing removal process. It looks as if removing the four larger bolts would release the outer tail light housing. There is also a chance that the lens assembly is a sealed piece so you might consider that.

I hope I haven't mislead you but this is how it looks to me.

Correct Gasket the 4 bolts hold the lamp on through the rear fender support frame, twist out the rear light housing remove the 4 bolts and the lamp will come away from the fender, it is a sealed unit so go easy with the drilling. :wink:

gasket the bracket that runs off the ilistration is for holding the license plate bracket. There are two of them they take M5 nuts they also twist off very easy and are faily cheap to order new one when you do this. to take the light housing off you don't have to remove these just the larger ones. You also don't have to pull the license plate light either. R34 is right it is a sealed unit with the lense being attached to the chrome base.

I've found no way to remove just the lens protion of the rear light assembly. Wanted to add a large light cluster and found the lens was glued in place. If you want the whole assembly follow the above :wink:

scotsmun said:
Oh come on.........be daring give it a go...........it won't explode it's a tail light for ****s sake red :roll:
Yeah tell that to my oil pan during my first oil change!!! :twisted: I will wait, there is suppose to be a company coming out with a new rear light assembly next year with the directionals and taillights together. Maybe I'll wait!!!! :| Thanks for the info, may of saved me some headaches and dough! :wink:

So what is the rest of the story on the oil change? I think I might have missed the part following the episode with the chisel? I considered suggesting to you that you take a chisel to the tail light assembly but then thought again about rubbing salt into a wound. :D

Compassion, the voice of the soul. Thanks for not rubbing it in, I'm a little sensitive when it comes to my oil pan! :oops:

Nothing, I didn't mess it up too bad, it sealed Ok with a little help from a dab of RTV silicone. I'm sure it's Ok. I'll be doing the oil changes from now on anyway. 8)

Better luck on my taillight lens! :wink:

RedRocket said:
Compassion, the voice of the soul. Thanks for not rubbing it in, I'm a little sensitive when it comes to my oil pan! :oops:

Nothing, I didn't mess it up too bad, it sealed Ok with a little help from a dab of RTV silicone. I'm sure it's Ok. I'll be doing the oil changes from now on anyway. 8)

Better luck on my taillight lens! :wink:

Don't forget to keep the chisel handy...Oops, sorry, I couldn't help myself. :twisted:

Back