Tachometer issue

Fred F.

Supercharged
Has anyone else had this problem. When I turn on the ignition the tach and speedometer sweep full scale and back to zero, usually. Quite often the tach lags a little and ends up at 5 or 6 tousand rpm when the speedo is back to zero. If I keep turning the key on and off eventually it goes where it belongs. Even when it's out of position it seems to follow the engine speed ok, it just isn't right. Any ideas ? Thanks, Fred

Sounds like a faulty tach or a faulty ECU.

Sometimes mine won't get out of its self-test and nothing will work, no RPM, no signal lights, nothing.

Key on and off and it auto corrects itself.

never heard of this before. Probably the tacho itself or edu. I would get it to a good dealer asap.

Tach Problem

Hi all, I found some good info. Seems the tach is somehow associated with the fuse for the heated handgrips. (Even if you don't have heated grips like me). Someone had put a fuse in mine that had an idiot light built into it to show you when it was blown. Even though the fuse was good, that little light must cause problems in the electronics. Put in a real fuse and problem went away. Put goofy fuse back in and problem came right back. Glad I didn't buy a new Tach ! Hope this helps others. Fred

This will also happen when the battery is out of juice and you try to start her before she is charged enough to fire up. On the plus side as soon as you get the juice you can cycle the key till the tach resets.

Back