Sunny side up? Circlip sharp side vs smooth(er) side

Spirolux look like they'd be a ***** to remove,but there must be a technique.
After doing one or two it becomes simple, ending edges have edge to start small screw driver and lift first ring, usually three rings, then use a second small screwdriver and start around groove and allow ring to raise out of groove. Simple after doing one or two. Installation is simple, just separate first edge and start into groove, take finger an roll each ring into groove, usually three rings, check to see all seated, and your done

Seems to me that a properly designed transmission is one that you can install a circlip in either orientation and be confident that it will hold it's place without fearing that gears are going to jump out and crash into each other. If Robinson's fix is to cut deeper grooves in the trans shaft with a corresponding sized circlip, well that shows a poor original design, to me anyway.
The circlips Robinson's uses are not only way thicker but appear to be surface ground so they are sharp on both sides. Can't really install them wrong.

After doing one or two it becomes simple, ending edges have edge to start small screw driver and lift first ring, usually three rings, then use a second small screwdriver and start around groove and allow ring to raise out of groove. Simple after doing one or two. Installation is simple, just separate first edge and start into groove, take finger an roll each ring into groove, usually three rings, check to see all seated, and your done
Spiralox should never be reused. Just yank um off with pliers and discard. Replace with new.

When I was a young fellow, I was a repairman at a laundry mat. I reused a spiralok on an extractor. It came off and let 12, 3/4" steel balls go flying at about a hundred miles an hour. Fortunately no one was hit. It's a wonder I managed to keep my job 😨
Think it's a good practice to always replace snap rings, spiralox, etc., cost are minimal.

Back