Sunny side up? Circlip sharp side vs smooth(er) side

That diagram makes no sense to me. A shallow cut groove like our transmission would surely pop the circlip out with a little force and circlip flexing.
I agree with your comments. I guess it depends on the type of groove cut in the shaft. If the groove in the shaft is cut with minimal radius on the inside edge opposite the gear, that diagram would be wrong and the circlip installation backwards. If the groove is cut with a pronounced radius on the inside edge (usually to prevent cracking of the shaft) it would work and you would want the beveled circlip edge against it. I would go with what Triumph recommends in their manual since it appears to be opposite to that Wikipedia diagram posted below.

Notice the radiused top of snap ring matches radius of work piece. If there is no radius on work piece, I would flip the snap ring. I don't think the Triumph tranny shaft circlip grooves are heavily radiused.

1613050782429.png

The Triumph circlips are more like this rather than radiused on same side

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 14.26.47.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 14.26.47.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 2
I agree with your comments. I guess it depends on the type of groove cut in the shaft. If the groove in the shaft is cut with minimal radius on the inside edge opposite the gear, that diagram would be wrong and the circlip installation backwards. If the groove is cut with a pronounced radius on the inside edge (usually to prevent cracking of the shaft) it would work and you would want the beveled circlip edge against it. I would go with what Triumph recommends in their manual since it appears to be opposite to that Wikipedia diagram posted below.

Notice the radiused top of snap ring matches radius of work piece. If there is no radius on work piece, I would flip the snap ring. I don't think the Triumph tranny shaft circlip grooves are heavily radiused.

1613050782429.png
Truarc and other snap ring manufactures used to have listings and dimensions, as well as preparations of shafts and bores for their products. I'm sure they are still available, but I haven't been involved or necessary to stay informed. Probably a section or two in Machinist Bible.

I was going to stay out of this
ohwell :laugh: :laugh:
rock crusher gears should not have any front to rear and vice a versa force
i propose the force is how much your leg and foot weighs verses how long your rod is when it makes contact with the forks that crams the gear into that circlip.
put on paper something like this
:rolleyes:o_Oo_O:sneaky:=:sick::whitstling::banghead::mad:

Back