suggested tools to take on the road

One of the simplest life saving devices you can carry is a reflective vest. It 's cheap and can be packed away anywhere. Take it from a fire fighter the side of the road is a very dangerous place day or nite. In a video test at my department we also discoverd that the white reflective material shows up much better than green or orange.

That's right on, SFlip. My AMA card (and previously my AAA card) is a lifesaver and true peace of mind. I can leave the heavier tools behind.

Best thing about the MOTOW card is it's not just for bikes. It's for any vehicle. It actually makes the AMA membership a bargain, not that I don't mind supporting the AMA. Someone has to fight bad (for motorcyclists) legislation.

Plus, unlike the AAA, you don't get diluged with crap advertising about products you don't want. You get their magazine and that's it.

This isn't meant to be a plug for the AMA. Just ny observations.

Speaking of the rear inflation valve being a bugger to get to, I was thinking "why not put it pointing out the other side?". I realize it's standard practice to put it on the uphill side of the kickstand, but I've burned the back of my hand too many times on the rear brake. Besides the way the bike leans on the stand, any reason you can think of NOT to move it to the left side of the bike?

My main tools is a 10 and 12mm wrench. It tightens the shocks, removes the windscreen, adjusts the brake and shifter pedals plus more stuff. Seems I use them the most so I carry "real" ones along with the electric tire pump and stuff. I throw it all in an old helmet bag down in the bottom of the saddle bags.

Speaking of the rear inflation valve being a bugger to get to, I was thinking "why not put it pointing out the other side?". I realize it's standard practice to put it on the uphill side of the kickstand, but I've burned the back of my hand too many times on the rear brake. Besides the way the bike leans on the stand, any reason you can think of NOT to move it to the left side of the bike?

My main tools is a 10 and 12mm wrench. It tightens the shocks, removes the windscreen, adjusts the brake and shifter pedals plus more stuff. Seems I use them the most so I carry "real" ones along with the electric tire pump and stuff. I throw it all in an old helmet bag down in the bottom of the saddle bags.

HF...

I have a Milton dial type tire gage that fits right in there with no problem. I had one of those digital domahickeys but the batteries crapped out.

..I installed mine out to the left when I had my wheels powdercoated..

I singed my **** hand again checking the pressure during our trip to O.C. last week, when the tire gets replaced next time I'm FOR SURE gonna swap sides with the valve stem. :mad:

Tools used during trip ......
Air pressure gauge
12mm wrench (W/S removal)
Pocket knife (nail file)
Lighter (melted loose threads on luggage)
Padlock
Shammy
Cash, cash, credit card, cash and more cash :p

Tools I wished I had ....
Windex
More cash

Back