suggested tools to take on the road

wjb3805

.020 Over
The Rocket tool kit like most every other bikes leaves a lot to be desired. has any of the more experienced hands ever put together a list of a the "must have" set of tools that every R3 captain should carry?
Know what I should be carrying but really dont want to be pulling 100 lbs of wrenches and screwdrivers in a trailer behind me all the time.:D

thanks

Jeff

I carry this with some pliers and a crescent wrench.

Pocket Tire Plugger plus CO2 Inflation

Why be stranded? This kit gives you the ability to perform the most effective repair possible without dismounting your tubeless tire. And if you operate a Motorcycle, ATV, Golf Car, Small Tractor, Utility Vehicle, or Wheelbarrow you're going to be back in action in just a few minutes. http://www.stopngo.com/products/plugger/1001.asp

Model # 1001
Price $47.95

Motorcycle Products | Stop & Go International | Home of the Award Winning Pocket Tire Plugger

Say Nolton,
thats a handy dandy little kit you got there.
Tried it out yet?
From the vid, it sure looks easy and effective.
Could be just the magic of TV, so I just thought I'd ask.
A personal reference is always good.

Hey Skip, I've used mine a few times & it works as is should. I have added a 12 volt outlet to the bike & on the road, I carry a small electric pump to get the tire back to "full" pressure. I used to carry a small bicycle pump to finish off filling the tire (if I ever needed it) but then a friend gave me the electric one that goes to 150 psi. I don't think the CO2 cartridges put out that much pressure to inflate a rear tire much. Take a pump of some sort, and practice using it at home. The rear valve stem is a bugger to get at with some devices.

wjb3805, I can only suggest to gather the tools that would allow repairs "you" would be able to make while on the road. I've put a tool pouch under the headlights which I can load with about 15 to 20 lbs. of tools. I mainly put my 32 piece metric combination wrench set, long screw drivers of both types, long needle nose plyers, reg plyers, cresent wrench, my "self made" axle holding tools (made of metric bolts & nuts) to remove the wheels in case of severe flat. Also, in the saddle bags, I carry an extra quart of oil just in case, the tire repair kit, 3/8 drive metric "deep well" sockets of the most common side (8mm to 19mm), panther piss (rust bust) and what ever else I might think of that would do me good.

As you might gather, I'm ready for most situations, with the exception of a full blow engine overhaul.

Tools on the road are a captains choice, also according to their skills.

See ya.

I carry the following

First aid kit (Just in Case)
cruztool (Multi tool)(In case it an easy fix)
Small Handgun and Knife (With that you can get about anything you want including respect :) )
Tire Repair Kit (In case I don't have cell coverage)
Gas siphon (In case someone forgot to fill up)
Cell Phone and Charger (To call roadside assistance)
Roadside Assistance Card (so I got the number for help)
Rain Poncho (in case it starts raining while you wait)
Flask of Bourbon, Cigars and a Lighter(Might as well enjoy yourself while you wait for help)
Beef Jerky (in case it a long wait)

xhdskip,
No haven't used it yet. Thankfully. I read a post on here ,somewhere, that recommended the kit so I got it and some extra co2 cartridges. Who ever it was said that the back tire needs 8 cartridges. I ride allot of back roads and cell service is spotty.

rusty,
15 to 20 lbs of tools ? Thats a load ! What about toilet paper ?

Scowherd,
I thought about a hand gun but decided against it. People on cell phones that cant talk and drive would provoke me.
If its a big enough flask of the right bourbon you can consider it part of the first aid kit. ( set bones, clean wounds, start a fire, etc.)
Lets not forget about the hand sanitizer and monkey butt.

My woman following me in the car loaded with everything to do a "nascar" style overhaul should I feel compelled. Oh and some water.......(to mix with bourbon).......:D

mutt

Ok, I carry the following, but subject to change if I think of something.

Hand sanitizer (I've seen people do some personal stuff at the gas pumps)

4 bungee cords ( have often bought things that would not fit in the bags)

simple first aid kit

1 liter of water ( I wonder just how hot it is on the road if its 105 in the shade)

day or night goggles ( I ride with a half helmet)

Leather face cover ( dont have a windshield, like riding without one, bug can fly really fast.)

pair of helmet locks (cable type, some people just aint right )

the stop and go plug kit , pliers, set of metric hex wrenches, crescent wrench

packable waterproof jacket ( photo in my album )

some 1 gal. ziplock bags ( ya never know !!!!)

I think thats about it.

Back