Stuck in France

Moogus

Not easily distrac…..ooh, shiny!
Ride
Rocket 3R 2023
Hi all,

Had been looking forward to 7 days motorcycling around Brittany with my wife on her Trident.
1st morning here Rocket wouldn’t start. Key on green, battery fine only 1700 miles on the clock, all lights up on the Speedo as expected, fuel pump fired, start….nope.
Checked clutch and side stand switches, still no luck.
Europe Assist sent a recovery truck and mechanic (who didn’t speak English) who couldn’t get it started. Bike last seen on the back of a recovery truck heading for a depot in St Malo!
Got in touch with Triumph Uk. French garages don’t open until Tuesday when they expect the bike to be taken to Triumph Rennes to be fixed.
Not only is Holiday ruined but we’re booked on a ferry home Thursday afternoon and I only have enough chemotherapy drugs to last me until Thursday……stranded!

Read my post about my issues. I put some hints, suggestions, and things to try.

Last edited:
Here is my video on starting it using the spare key.

Let me know if this helps, if it works, or if you need anything answered.

End result of my situation was that the key fob memory got corrupted. Therefore it was no longer "associated" or "related" to the bike. The dealer where I took the bike tried unsuccessfully to re-pair the FOB to the bike, as the memory was corrupted, it wouldn't work. I needed a new key fob, it needed to be programmed to my bike (ECU), and after that, no issues (a new FOB was 8 weeks)

I travel with the spare tucked away now.

Last edited:
Here is my video on starting it using the spare key.

Let me know if this helps, if it works, or if you need anything answered.

End result of my situation was that the key fob memory got corrupted. Therefore it was no longer "associated" or "related" to the bike. The dealer where I took the bike tried unsuccessfully to re-pair the FOB to the bike, as the memory was corrupted, it wouldn't work. I needed a new key fob, it needed to be programmed to my bike (ECU), and after that, no issues (a new FOB was 8 weeks)

I travel with the spare tucked away now.
What a nightmare and how disappointing they didn't add a provision for a dead/damaged key to allow someone to start the bike with only the physical key. Many cars have it, for exactly the "don't leave your customers stranded" reason.

Thanks for the replies people,

Bear in mind I don’t have the bike with me… it’s somewhere in St Malo.

Fuses checked by attending recovery chap all ok
When starter button pushed no click or clack it just didn’t turn over/ start. All usual lights on speedo, battery fine. The lights didn’t dim when start pressed
Clutch switch checked, all in situ. I wiped it off in case it was damp, still not starting

It should be going to Rennes Triumph today so fingers crossed they can sort it and get it back to me by tomorrow

Back