Protonhound

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Rocket 3R
As I am doing my best to faithfully follow the mileage/rpm incremental increases as set forth by the engineers it's becoming more challenging to remain reasonable on a ridiculous bike. I had to drop down to 3'rd in order to ease it up to the 5k which is my limit now that I have passed the 300mi mark on the only stretch of road that isn't twisties between home and work while hoping the law is minding their own business. The process will continue.
20240227_172637.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with that.
firstly what you are doing is good. enjoy the process, learning the bike and getting to feel how it responds. this is where you will start noticing the throttle restriction. make notes here as it will help you later on tune your ecu.

break-in is a gradual increase in rev/throttle inputs without keeping engine load constant, with increases over distance as per OEM instructions. how far that should be is debatable, reasoning at the end…
with break-in on my bikes over the past 20 years I’ve followed this 200-300km approach limited to 1 or 2 tanks of fuel.
first tank - only the lower rev ranges with quick burst to mid range with lots of engine breaking in between.
second tank much the same process building up to redline. that’s it

example- at 4k revolutions per minute there’s a lot of piston travel and moving parts doing there thing seating etc.. start multiplying these numbers by time. It becomes eye watering numbers. so how much is enough or to little?

there is also carbon buildup on the exhaust valves at lower temps/revs - at higher revs/heat these carbon deposits don't stick as much or not at all. Performance engines should not be *****footed. think of the rockets engine as a V8 reving to 7K

best wishes

After 500 miles I think the motor is good to go for reasonable acceleration up through the gears. This motor has proved to be very durable. Don’t forget that engine breaking is good for breaking in the motor.

Back