Starter button blows fuses

your problem is kind of weird. it doesn't make sense that #8 fuse would blow because it is not on the starter circuit.
one other test would be to remove fuse#10 and try it again. to see if the fuse blows or will it start.
one of your accessory might be bad and crossing into the starter circuit.

i just pulled fuse#8 and fuse # 10 and my 07 classic will start up and run good with out the fuses
hth herman

Ian - take the RFID off - it sounds to me as if you may have an earth fault causing power falsifying through a common feed. I had an issue ages ago where the things were powering up that shouldn't - traced to a poor earth on the frame.

The fuse that is blowing is #8, which is 5 amps, but powers instrument illumination and position lights. So why would that fuse blow when hitting the starter button?

The only thing that can cause a fuse to blow is excessive current draw which normally means a short. I would disconnect the battery and start doing continuity checks to ground. Starting with the starter button. Refer to the service manual, the schematics are quite easy to follow.

According to the service manual fuses 2,6,5 and 9 are in the starting and charging circuit. Fuse 8 is part of the aux and acc circuit and the starter switch is common to both circuits. Do you have an accessory socket installed? Is there something connected to it? Just a stab in the dark without the ability to see your bike.

Back