Starter button blows fuses

idk

Living Legend
Ride
BMW R1200C
When I hit the starter button the 5 amp fuse blows. To trace the fault I have done the following.

Check the starter button to make sure that it is not shorting to the handle bars. It wasn't, but I put some electrical tape over the wiring and on the bar just to be sure to be sure.

Remove the starter motor - no fuse blowing.

Put the starter motor back on, but not connect the high tension lead, and also disconnect the high tension lead from the solenoid to the motor. Fuse blows.

Remove the solenoid plunger and its cover plate. Fuse blows.

I think, therefore, that the problem must be in the solenoid mechanism, but I couldn't find anything that it shorting out.

Any ideas? Anybody in the area have a spare starter motor that I can borrow or buy?

When I hit the starter button the 5 amp fuse blows. To trace the fault I have done the following.

Check the starter button to make sure that it is not shorting to the handle bars. It wasn't, but I put some electrical tape over the wiring and on the bar just to be sure to be sure.

Remove the starter motor - no fuse blowing.

Put the starter motor back on, but not connect the high tension lead, and also disconnect the high tension lead from the solenoid to the motor. Fuse blows.

Remove the solenoid plunger and its cover plate. Fuse blows.

I think, therefore, that the problem must be in the solenoid mechanism, but I couldn't find anything that it shorting out.

Any ideas? Anybody in the area have a spare starter motor that I can borrow or buy?

Sounds like the solenoid coil itself has gone south. Not sure if that part is sold separately.

according to my info the starter relay takes a 20 amp fuse and it is in number #9 position.
i have an 07 classic.
the fuses are numbered from 1 to 11. what number fuse is blowing.
do you have the eastern beaver or relays for headlights? other electric mods?
what year is your classic?
herman

Sounds like the solenoid coil itself has gone south. Not sure if that part is sold separately.
That or the solenoid plunger is sticking - so draws more amps TRYING to move. Never looked to see if one can open the R3 solenoid!

Ian - Try running a lead direct to the solenoid from a battery - see if it engages.

The solenoid opens up easily. The plunger is not sticking, and the fuse will blow even when the plunger is removed.

I will check the fuse number and what its rating should be.

I have a 2006 Classic with the EB mod and lots of accessories. It has not been a problem with them fitted for many tens of thousands of miles.

I wonder if parts from a generic Denso starter will fit - in the same way one can upgrade the power rating.
Actually Wayne Tripp posted a low cost starter replacement thread. Don't remember what forum it is on but it has been sticky'd at the top of the page.

The fuse that is blowing is #8, which is 5 amps, but powers instrument illumination and position lights. So why would that fuse blow when hitting the starter button?

The fuse that is blowing is #8, which is 5 amps, but powers instrument illumination and position lights. So why would that fuse blow when hitting the starter button?

#8 powers instruments & accessorries
could you try another fuse and just turn on key and see if the fuse will blow without touching starter button?
herman

Back