Speed Limiters on Cagers in UK, Bikes Next?

...opening another new market niche for TuneECU...... :whitstling:
I wish it was that easy. I can bet that the folks that decide they don't want a limiter and change it via TuneECU or other devises will be in for a very harsh penalty/fine. They will fix it where you will be severely punished (monetarily or jail time )if you don't comply. With all of the big brother cameras in the UK you really won't stand a chance. Traffic is moving at 30 and here you come up at 50. Easy target for the police and cameras I would think. They make examples of the defiant of course and boom compliance. Bend over and grab your ankles cause the nanny state is coming to your neighborhood.

Unless they’re also proposing to implement a minimum speed of, say, 95% of the speed limit they’d better prepare for an explosion in road rage and accidents caused by dangerously slow overtaking.

Last edited:
Hi . Devil's advocate here.

Worth noting that ISA devices are NOTHING new. Loads of car mfrs already fit it - but currently you have to decide to enable or not. My Citroen SUV has it.

I actually use it a fair bit if I'm unsure where the cameras are in the UK (pretty much friken everywhere). The next stage (and this is all public domain info) is default to ON - like a shed load of other crap (Stop/start). But you can still turn it off. Last stage is ADAPTIVE (it knows where it is and what the limit is) and non-disable-able. But by then I'll be too old to care.

The car I have gets confused occasionally and cannot decide whether to believe the GPS or the posted limits (reads the signs) - This IMO is the MAIN ISSUE with it. Variable speed limit areas (common in UK) are really going to be an issue with ISA.

It affects some more than others - Zero-limit German Autobahn users need not worry. The additional issue is that in some countries (Spain) the VERY low town speed limits are now so low that ISA simply wont work there. And my last trips to the UK there was so much bleedin traffic - hitting the national limit is nigh on impossible.

And I honestly see no reason why - if it's the law for one set of road users - it is not for the rest.

Buy something old - with no electronics. Just accept that eventually there simply will be nobody selling you distilled dinosaur juice. This will happen 5 years earlier in the UK than the rest of the EU (en theory). Once petrol stations simply don't have a large customer base - they'll shut. IMO this is actually what will kill off the internal combustion engine. Imagine you have to ride 50 miles to fill up.

As an aside for the conspiracy theorists - Just wait until your E-car/bike wont start because they've remote disabled it due to energy shortages. :evil:

Lucifer sends hugs and Kisses.

Well if it’s just what I have in my car that would be fine. At the press of a button I can activate either cruise at a set speed or a speed limit that I determine. I can switch off the speed limit either by pressing the button again or pushing the accelerator momentarily to the floor. I’m sure lots of cars have that these days.
The problem I’d have would be some sort of overriding control that didn’t allow speeds above the speed limit. Most navigation systems can notify you of what (it thinks) the speed limit is and it wouldn’t be big stretch from there.

Then you have an older system.

My Passat compares what he sees (traffic signs) and what he knows (GPS) and combines it while in Cruise Control. It even brakes early before city limits.

The bad part: everybody hates you.
The good part: when switched to "off", it stays "off"...

Back