Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

I'm pretty sure I can't help here, but I've been encountering missing parts during my camshaft project, and just sadly is consistent with all bikes on which I've worked where a dealer tech touched it beforehand. Almost as universal as the bear $hits in the woods and the Pope is Catholic, if a dealer tech presumes that a part will be out of sight when the bike is buttoned up, parts *will* be left out.

Why I never went back to my dealer after a couple visits under warranty, I'm a terrible mechanic and I think I could do better, every time something left out, airbox not connected, oil dripping down side of engine, bush league stuff. I have a buddy at an independent shop, he knows what I want, when I get a new used bike, I drop it off and say go through it, and he's thorough.

Ain't it amazing, the little things they changed over the years?

Indeed, it's called on going development.
I've been building my Rocket header for over three years now, the process gets better all the time.
I'm starting to get good at it :D

I spent ten years working as a Research and Development Engineer building and developing Experimental, Computer controlled Automatic Machinery.
I would map out what/how I thought a development would proceed, then set to and build it.
The interesting thing was that at completion of step two, where I thought I would be at step three had changed because "theory" and practice ....... can be two completely different things.

Exactly, sometimes the most sound decision during design doesn’t hold true during field use.

Tolerances I found between 3/4 out and their circlips was 0.4mm or 0.0157” with a light drag.

Between 2nd and it’s circlips was 0.45mm or 0.0177”.

Both dimensions are centered in the 0.003”-0.023” spec I see used on various bikes.

If done right, it would split the load of the gear trying to wobble between two circlips, will have look and see if it can be done.

Honestly, if the splined bush 3rd and 4th ride on were a tighter tolerance it would also fix it, preventing the wobble in the first place....
Shouldn''t the gears having some small wobble anyway? However,too much gearwobbling on the shaft and yes, some bad day gears are '' kissing'' each other under a wrong angle.( French kissing?)
Root Cause Analysis Post:

Current Theory, Supported by damage analysis:
3rd Gear circlip was not in it's groove.

What caused 3rd gear's circlip to jump out of the groove, now there's the question. The direction it moves when it's forced out of the groove.

As you already did notice from the start , circlips were installed backwards.I cannot trace that at the moment ,so correct me if I''m wrong.

Some wobbles unavoidable given the design. I am confident less brutal 5-4 downshifts to prevent 3rd gear circlip abuse and the box would’ve been fine given the clearances I measured.

Just the drum will need work when I get everything back to ensure it doesn’t abnormally wear the shift forks.

Got some stuff done today, made more room for another battery and more storage. Adding another 4ga positive wire. Mounted the 1.4kw starter motor to the stock setup.

Packed up the trans, ECU, and new trans parts for shipment.

Removed rear wheel bearings so I can take to get powder coated.

Fact: I will not have issues firing off the bike anymore.
1DD371EC-7EE1-4788-9C2B-C0A59E129309.jpeg
097B7DAD-0C9B-449C-AE62-8D58FBF86BBE.jpeg
F677C2EE-08AB-4D9B-A0D9-A4D8E5E12634.jpeg
13C80DB2-9FF1-4412-845F-3C84E6EC6F0F.jpeg
E24D112F-E57F-4ADD-81DB-39C00A16499D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back