Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

just for taught about these clips
if u had a cap system that went over the clip to keep it from opening up when it is hammered. like for example like the old ford starters. might work
or if u used a clip w/o the holes then cut a recess in the part that hits it then it would not be able to spread the clip when engaged.

Was thinking about just this yesterday in the shower. Something like a small (tiny) plate with two (tiny) rivets installed with the circlip in place would prevent the spread. Not sure, I'll have to keep looking at various aircraft items and see what I can find.

Ooooh @Rocket Scientist please explain. Enquiring minds want to know.

Third and fourth gear butt up against one another. When the dogs come into third gear they push it over into the forth gear, which runs into it's circlip. When the dogs come into fourth gear, they push it into third gear which runs into it's circlip. If you cut a groove in-between them and added another circlip, if you got the spacing correct you essentially have two circlips holding the gears in position. Just my theory.

Third and fourth gear butt up against one another. When the dogs come into third gear they push it over into the forth gear, which runs into it's circlip. When the dogs come into fourth gear, they push it into third gear which runs into it's circlip. If you cut a groove in-between them and added another circlip, if you got the spacing correct you essentially have two circlips holding the gears in position. Just my theory.

If done right, it would split the load of the gear trying to wobble between two circlips, will have look and see if it can be done.

Honestly, if the splined bush 3rd and 4th ride on were a tighter tolerance it would also fix it, preventing the wobble in the first place....

just thinking
i am not familiar with the oiling of the forks could it be possible that at 8000 rpm would it sling all the oil off the gears where the forks ride causing the damage on the forks?
gone for the week end. good luck.

just thinking
i am not familiar with the oiling of the forks could it be possible that at 8000 rpm would it sling all the oil off the gears where the forks ride causing the damage on the forks?
gone for the week end. good luck.

I've been wondering something similar lately - are we missing an oiling issue that is precipitating some of the wear

Shimming the gearbox properly will reduce load on clips etc. Forks should only have contact load when shifting. There will be tons of oil in there flying about, burned forks = load breaking the oil film. I still think the 120 ms shift set up probably at least started the forks burning. Why not get opinion from @warp9.9 and @Speedy they are normally quick to chime in on this sort of thing?

The forks aren’t discolored but they are worn a bit abnormally, I just finished mieasuring the fork to drum clearances.

Amazingly all the fork tabs that ride in the drum came out identical:

5.88 mm

The grooves in the drum measure between 6.1 and 6.15.

Service limit is .5 clearance, normal range is up to .25mm.

Being only 0.02mm out of spec but well within service limits, and only in a couple points along the straight point of the groove, I rule out the fork/drum clearance.

Last edited:
Curious I ran a feeler gauge between 2nd input and it’s snap ring... 0.5mm with light drag.

Does anyone know if Triumph have even published gear to snap ring clearances? My service manual has nothing on it, but other brand manuals list clearances much smaller than 0.5mm!!

Back