I was thinking of going a half inch longer than stock with h/d springs because of my size and weight. But that may require doing something with the front end. It's frustrating. Seems like a lot of accessories virtually disappeared when the 2.3 liter model went out in 2018.
Half inch over and HD spring with your weight and height will be better than std height.
More travel for the spring to soften the ride.
Progressive 444 and 412 series shocks share the same range of springs grades/rates with a single resting spring length. For any particular lb. per linear inch rating used (I think the Progressive springs have 2 differently rated sections - hence progressive) , and with the same resting length springs, they will be more pre-loaded with shorter shaft (and hence eye to eye) length.
This results are that the HD spring ride is softer and more compliant of sharp jolts with the 13" eye to eye than when fitted to the stock 12.5" eye to eye length.

That is why even Progressive 444s in 11.5" or even 12" are likely to be compromised for heavier riders.

Just purchased a back set of Hyperpro 360TS all black and front progressive springs. I called EPM Performance in NJ and he talked me into these over the Wilber cause I am looking for more of a soft 2 person ride over a performance setup. Here is to hoping it was the right choice. Should get them early next week.
Good choice I am sure you will love them.

Hyperpro__Shock__460_Purple_Basic__v02-683x1024.jpg

Hyperpro_Springs_v01-1024x683.jpg

achtergrond-website_1024x596-1.jpg

pre-load-adjusterkopie.jpg

TYPE 460/360 EMULSION SHOCK
The Hyperpro emulsion shock, has rebound adjustment with 50 clicks, and manual preload adjustment. It has all the benefits of the high performance shocks.
Features:
  • Rebound adjustment: 50 clicks
  • Manual spring preload adjuster
  • Hyperpro progressive spring (linear spring available upon request)
optional: Hydraulic Preload Adjuster & length adjustment (depending on model)

Half inch over and HD spring with your weight and height will be better than std height.
More travel for the spring to soften the ride.
Progressive 444 and 412 series shocks share the same range of springs grades/rates with a single resting spring length. For any particular lb. per linear inch rating used (I think the Progressive springs have 2 differently rated sections - hence progressive) , and with the same resting length springs, they will be more pre-loaded with shorter shaft (and hence eye to eye) length.
This results are that the HD spring ride is softer and more compliant of sharp jolts with the 13" eye to eye than when fitted to the stock 12.5" eye to eye length.

That is why even Progressive 444s in 11.5" or even 12" are likely to be compromised for heavier riders.
Your second to last paragraph is interesting. 'The H.D. spring ride being softer and more compliant of sharp jolts...' It reminds me of my dirt bike riding days when the tech. at the suspension shop told me the reason my front forks were harsh was because the springs were too soft. It sounded counter-intuitive, but he was right. By going to stronger springs, it smoothed out the ride...

Last edited:
the best is to find professional people who will be able to built and adjust the shocks to you.
That I most wholeheartedly agree with. My R3 fork innards were built to fit me by Maxton. And then I had them fitted and fettled by DMX just down the road from me. tbh They are also on the stiffer side for smaller ripples, but that's what I asked for.

Back