Santa sure was good to me !

Pedal steel guitar and a Mullen at that. They are an integral part of the country-western sound. What is interesting is the popularity in Hawaiian music. I've lived there twice in my life with the last time moving from Oahu to Washington in 2002. I was listening to a talk show on Hawaiian music and other than the uke and slack key guitar, the pedal steel guitar used to play prominently. It somewhat fell from grace so young people quit learning to play the instrument. Some of the old time players were looking for new young Hawaiians to learn to play it.

Back in the 70s I had a late 30s vintage Gibson lap slide electric guitar but traded it for a Winchester 30-30 rifle somewhere along the way. That is another item on my "I wish I hadn't done that" list.

Pedal steel guitar and a Mullen at that. They are an integral part of the country-western sound. What is interesting is the popularity in Hawaiian music. I've lived there twice in my life with the last time moving from Oahu to Washington in 2002. I was listening to a talk show on Hawaiian music and other than the uke and slack key guitar, the pedal steel guitar used to play prominently. It somewhat fell from grace so young people quit learning to play the instrument. Some of the old time players were looking for new young Hawaiians to learn to play it.

Back in the 70s I had a late 30s vintage Gibson lap slide electric guitar but traded it for a Winchester 30-30 rifle somewhere along the way. That is another item on my "I wish I hadn't done that" list.

Somebody who knows the instrument besides @Boog. My first pedal steel was a Sho~Bud D10. I ordered it directly from the company down on Broadway in Nashville. I couldn't play a lick on it when I bought it for $1,230.00. I still have it, but haven't I haven't tried to play it in years. I bought a used Emmons several years ago but it never played as well as my Mullen. I sold it. :D

E402ACDC-4317-4A94-8D0A-33A45814F4C5.jpeg
438CD31B-B70A-4E84-AC8A-FF652C298D30.jpeg
Santa was good to my wife also I put all new flooring in the downstairs for her over my Christmas vacation. I am not a Carpender by any means but I thought I’d give it ago didn’t turn out too bad.

A little off topic. Sorry you never learned to play the guitar. My country music interests took me down a different road in my late teens. It served me well, I always had bands that wanted me and I made a lot of money with it down through the years. At one point I was making more playing 5 nights a week than I was teaching. I could have even done it for a living. I don't play very often anymore...mainly by choice. I played a whopping 5 times last summer. Many people don't even know what this instrument is. Playing an instrument has provided me with a lot of personal enjoyment.

20170903_143547.jpg
'Jailhouse' slide Guitar is my guess.

Two of my "fun" "Christmas presents from my wife, a three string cigar box slide guitar and a T-shirt to go with it. A friend of mine builds them that are truly works of art but this one from my wife was just for fun. It as a pickup too.

The last slide guitar I had was an old pre-WW II Gibson that I traded for a Winchester 30-30 somewhere along the way.
Guitar Christmas RF.jpg

I thought of you this morning Delaware Rider when I opened the package with the T-shirt.

Here is how you play it Mike

Yikes, that's not the kind of slide guitar music I'd like to play. It appears to have a resonator plate like a Dobro.

A local friend who coordinates our open mics used to build them and they were pretty nice. He'd also play one on occasion during open mic. My wife found a custom builder in the little Scandinavian town just north of us, Poulsbo.

And I wish Bedifferent would post one of the videos of him playing his steel.

And Delaware Rider, very nice flooring job and nice color. It looks to be kind of a washed gray/brown. I won't show my wife those pics because I know what I would be doing next in my life.

Yikes, that's not the kind of slide guitar music I'd like to play. It appears to have a resonator plate like a Dobro.

A local friend who coordinates our open mics used to build them and they were pretty nice. He'd also play one on occasion during open mic. My wife found a custom builder in the little Scandinavian town just north of us, Poulsbo.

And I wish Bedifferent would post one of the videos of him playing his steel.

And Delaware Rider, very nice flooring job and nice color. It looks to be kind of a washed gray/brown. I won't show my wife those pics because I know what I would be doing next in my life.

Heck, I didn't know. A lot of us old farts still like to rock :inlove

Back