Santa sure was good to me !

C799AD67-CB66-4C9E-830F-E07B2C08292A.jpeg
A friend of mine dropped by today and brought me a new Paul Reed Smith guitar the one in the middle upfront . I’m thinking the $50 gift certificate that I got him for a local music shop might not be enough . I love my rocket but I love my guitars to

Sorry thread kinda got sidetracked.

Very nice collection you have there. Love the PRS. So you like that Gibson feel and sound I take it. That is a Merry Christmas.

@Navigator Now that it is morning I did a little research on the 1963 Gibson. If you find he has something that is pretty much original and in good shape and need assistance let me know.

Document his history with the guitar. This would have been a top of the line solid body in its day.

He may have no idea of the value of what he has. I have a cousin in Nashville that is a songwriter. He has a guitar endorsement and can help you find out what you have.

96 years old is late in life and it sure would be nice for him to find out others value something that special to him.

Catch of the Day: 1963 Gibson Les Paul Standard (SG) | Fretboard Journal

I believe he has a fairly good idea of value. He's been a member of the Old Time Fiddlers here since the mid 50s and has had some fine instruments. His wife passed away a few years ago and was quite the fiddler from what I heard. He had some beautiful antique firearms, to include a Sharps buffalo gun from the 1800s and took it all to a museum in Idaho a couple of years ago. Whenever I have breakfast with Chuck he smiles and asks me if I've thought of a good home for his Les Paul yet.

I never want to be one of those guys who tries to get something from an elderly gent. As I said, I'll be seeing him this week, will confirm the vintage and ask him what he might be thinking.

The traditional looking Les Paul was first marketed in 1952 - 1960.
The SG style was from 1961 - 1963 as a Les Paul.
The production of the traditional styled Les Paul did not resume untill 1968 -to the present.
If it is a 63 SG style you can have a keeper.
Don't deny an old man of one of his final wishes.
With proper humility accept his offer and treat it like your bike and guns.
Which is often better than we treat our wives and girlfriends.

I vaguely recall seeing the instrument at my friend's home years ago but can't recall what the shape was, color etc. I looked up SG model and the below web site has some good examples. Prices are all over the map as usual with instruments of the same make/vintage. These run from $5000-$19,000. Yikes.

Gibson Les Paul (SG) Cherry 1961

I have the fever too. 2005 6120 Brian Setzer sslv and a 70 Fender Twin Reverb. Also play a Fender USA Jazz 5 Deluxe thru a MarkBass and my beat up old doghouse!

I have come to love my Marshall DSL 40C. It will drive 2 cabs and it doesn't care what guitar I plug into it, Les Paul, Fender, LTD, Ibeneze, Ovation, or BC Rich. I may have left out a few but if you bond with a guitar a and amp setup and can make people happy you have it made.

I always yearned to be able to play the guitar , I tried in my late teens to learn but my fingers were so cracked and covered in birdseyes from my work it was impossible .
When I was in first school , the school brass band got to sit on chairs at the front of assembly , whilst all the other kids had to sit crossed legs on the floor . I was most indignant about this , so asked my father for a trumpet . He bought me the most battered , tarnished and bent cornet you ever did see , I couldn't play one single note .
I somehow managed to mime and blag my way into the school band . Twice I managed to sit on those chairs at the front of assembly , where a perfect view could be had up the girls skirts .
Inevitably I was rumbled , and once again relegated to the floor ! :(

A little off topic. Sorry you never learned to play the guitar. My country music interests took me down a different road in my late teens. It served me well, I always had bands that wanted me and I made a lot of money with it down through the years. At one point I was making more playing 5 nights a week than I was teaching. I could have even done it for a living. I don't play very often anymore...mainly by choice. I played a whopping 5 times last summer. Many people don't even know what this instrument is. Playing an instrument has provided me with a lot of personal enjoyment.

20170903_143547.jpg

A little off topic. Sorry you never learned to play the guitar. My country music interests took me down a different road in my late teens. It served me well, I always had bands that wanted me and I made a lot of money with it down through the years. At one point I was making more playing 5 nights a week than I was teaching. I could have even done it for a living. I don't play very often anymore...mainly by choice. I played a whopping 5 times last summer. Many people don't even know what this instrument is. Playing an instrument has provided me with a lot of personal enjoyment.

20170903_143547.jpg
That's awesome ! I don't know what that is called , but I know it's some Kind of slide guitar and much harder to play !
I love the sound of them . :rolleyes:

Back