Rubbish Gen2 Horn

Ward

.060 Over
Joined
Apr 25, 2022
Messages
167
Location
Droitwich Spa, UK
Ride
RIII Roadster + R3 GT
I'm very disappointed with the standard Gen2 horn, in particular to stupid place it's located and that it sounds like a Deliveroo rider's 😟,....

https://imgur.com/l9eKhgg

There is just nowhere to mount a proper one (Stebel Nautilus compact) and I've spent a week or two looking ! I eventually bit the bullet and bought a 110bd 12v horn that's a bit bigger than stock, but it just won't fit in the same place.

I've seen a Youtube Video of a guy fitting a Denali horn by bending the supplied bracket and painting it black (and that's a bit bigger) but there are two brake pipes in there which you can't allow the horn to touch - so have mounted it at 90° to the original position, and a bit further out. It's a bit closer to the exhaust than I would like, and had to make a very awkward spiral bracket, but we'll see how it goes ?

Anyone else done something or got any bright ideas ? It might go on the LH side, but it appears you'd need to cut the radiator shroud, and I don't want to do that of course. We'll see if this works - it's certainly a lot louder,......

https://imgur.com/3xqPwqp
 
Well, It's taken quite some time to sort this out. Scheme A fitted OK but not loud enough. Scheme B was to fit a second horn, just below. Being a cheapskate I fitted the stock horn, it was two-tone, a bit louder but still sounded rubbish. Sorry the earlier photo's are no longer available, but IMGUR took exception to some comment and banned all access to the UK !

Scheme C - I ordered another horn similar to the new horn (the replacement horn was no longer available). That also fitted (and worked) Unfortunately the sound was at a different tone, and they didn't so much harmonise as clash ! 😡

Scheme D - I found a small compact "Snail" type electric horn that was allegedly 130db, so went for that. It just fits, and was very difficult to fabricate a mounting bracket.
It comes with its own shield to stop water/spray going in but the main trumpet section is plastic and I was concerned about it being so close to the exhaust. So far, 150 miles later in mixed use, it seems good - and I can hear it even with my sound-cancelling earbuds in ! AND, as you can see from the ebay advert, is was so expensive ! 🤣🤣🤣


 
Last edited:
Back
Top