Confusing Situation with Horns

mexican

Living Legend
Ride
2015 Rocket X
Trying to hook up the horns but ran into a confusing situation, (for me).
Disconnected the oem horn, found what i thought it was the positive and negative on the horn, if i remember correct my 05 had only one wire which makes the only connection positive and the ground gets it from the frame.
On the X, it has 2 connections, but when switch is open both of the connectors have power:eek::eek:.
need an electrical guru to chime in and guide me like you would a 5 year old:oops::oops:
Thanks in advance:)
horn1.jpg
horn2.jpg

That
The switch grounds the horn, power is always on, IIRC
That makes sense, now, the horns that i got have only one wire connection, how to i go about connecting them since they get the ground from the frame?

If they are more powerful horns then they probably need a relay. Power the relay switch with the horn wires, and power the relay from the battery, via a fuse, and then to the new horn.

That

That makes sense, now, the horns that i got have only one wire connection, how to i go about connecting them since they get the ground from the frame?

Place a relay in energized by the existing wires then run a positive wire to the relay contact to connect to your new horn

Definitely will need a relay. As already mentioned, the ground is switched. Use the two connections on the OEM horn to switch the coil on the relay. Run a positive from the battery through a fuse to the relay then from the relay to the horn. You’ll have to ground the horn too...either from the battery or a good ground point on the frame nearby. As motorcycles are so short, I would just run it from the battery.

Back