Rough feeling after tire change, bearings?

Dave Grigsby

Standard Bore
Ride
Kentucky
Took my '14 R3T to my authorized dealer for new tires and the 10K service. They remarked at the 40-minute ordeal it took to remove the rear wheel due to the splines. Today my bike has a new vibration (almost a very, Very faint grinding feel that comes and goes. It's incredibly subtle, but it's there. Any ideas?

Took my '14 R3T to my authorized dealer for new tires and the 10K service. They remarked at the 40-minute ordeal it took to remove the rear wheel due to the splines. Today my bike has a new vibration (almost a very, Very faint grinding feel that comes and goes. It's incredibly subtle, but it's there. Any ideas?
It should not have taken 40 minutes to pull the wheel off due to the splines. The wheel should slide of the hub easily. 10K miles doesn't seem like enough to cause any issues unless it was not lubed correctly upon assembly, or there is a defect in a bearing or seal. Is the service department at your dealer familiar with the Rocket or shaft drive bikes? I hope the service dept. re lubed the splines correctly and inspected the parts.

Someone here will be along shortly to offer some more advice I am sure.

Could be your front brake pads dragging, the forks twist a little when you remove the tire and you need to tweak it a bit (when reinstalling)so the space is even on you rotor alignment to your brake pads (calipers). Just a guess. Check your brakes to see if they are really hot after a ride? I hope they greased your splines correctly?? If you can get your front jacked up, spin the wheel, you should have a little drag, but not to much!! Good luck and welcome!

I have had three sets of rear wheel bearings so far at 30K+ miles.
Just sayin' . . .

I have 42,000 miles on mine on the stock bearings. Are you sure they balanced the tires? I would pull the rear tire and check their work if they had that much trouble removing the tire. It's a 10 minute job to remove the rear tire. I have found that dealerships don't always use their ace mech. to change oil and tires. Most HD shops use the same kid that washes bikes and sweeps floors.

+1 to what@mport said I've got 41,000mi. w/o any bearing problems I change and balance my tires myself.

Went to OKC to have them change out the back tire. Five hours later it was still in progress. Expected the bike after the job was completed and everything seemed OK. Got home and figured out the passenger foot pegs had been removed and reinstalled upside down. The exhaust pipe on the left side of the bike had a nice dent in it. Lucky for me it is on the underside of pipe. Gave them some lube for the splines (Loctite) which was never used. The dealer in Tulsa is no better. They do not even have a tire machine. Made a bracket ,bought a good floor jack and now do the work myself. Coming up on the 20,000 mile tune-up and plan on doing it myself. If they have a hard time changing a tire there is no way I am going to trust them with the rest of the bike. VERY SAD.

I can change my oil, and do most routine maintenance. I can take the wheels off myself, and get tires put on. But my Rocket has a two year maintenance agreement so....hmmmm.....my ten thousand mile service will get done by the local dealer. But my experience with them so far is that they are pretty good. I know several other shops too so if I ever need better I'll know where to go. But the fact that there are several places to choose keeps them all on the up and up.

Back