Rocket vs. Daytona vs. BMW

ThingKing

Child in Time
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster, 2022 Hayabusa
Well, today was a pretty fast day on the country side. Speeding stories, anyone?

I drove behind a big sportsbike through the 5 p.m. traffic jam, waiting for my secret little escape turn to come up. In fact the guy in front of me took that tiny road as well, and once he was free from the cagers, that bloke was really going fast. So I decided to stick with him. :sneaky:

After a small roundabout, there was a long, long straight through the fields. He entered it about a second in front of me, and I just couldn't completely close that gap again, all the way until 3rd gear was wrung out. He was almost identically fast in acceleration, I barely gained a bikelength back.
A village came up, and so I had the opportunity to comfortably drive to his side and take a look at that beast ... turned out it was a pimped Daytona 955i. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Anyway, during the fast stretch we had stirred up another biker in front of us, and from his mufflers it was easy to tell - the mighty new BMW 1600, six cylinders, 160hp. Honestly, I got a little afraid of the next few minutes.
The BMW guy was up to no good, just as expected. He was trying to make an example of those Triumph folks on his back. I could barely hang on with those two crazy bastards in some of the following fast curves, and had to wring her out again with no mercy... :confused:

Story ends nicely, though: the Daytona finally went another way, and I was alone with the BMW guy.
I had made it to stick with him until the next village (thank you Mr. Wilbers, your shocks kept me alive), and so I suggested a drag race - and he nodded. From a dead stop I won pretty clearly, gaining most of that edge in first gear. I offered him a second run, but he backed off. :D

So I've learned this: The Daytona is really plenty fast, and a modestly tuned Rocket (RWHP >140) can outperform the big BMW in a drag race.
And I hope I'm not gonna meet those two blokes on the street again, in the near future. They seemed to have a bad influence on my innocent soul. :whitstling:

And if I do, I'll better have a few cans of Red Bull before. :cautious:

Back