You're just down the road from me on 35. I have put together more than a few sidecars. I have been getting the kits. My wife has an Indian Vintage with a Hannigan and a scout w/ another smaller Hannigan. I don"t ride the just install and maintain them. I have not seen a leading link in years. They use to work great on the old BMWs. Good luck on your project.
Russ
OKC

Thanks Russ,
The leading I built is a composite of several different designs. With the measurements between the fork tubes being a lot more than what was on the Guzzi, I had to cut the back member and re weld a larger diameter tube over it. With the brake calipers mounted on the bottom, when brakes are applied, the front end raises up , instead of diving like traditional mounts. Seems to work great.
The fork tubes are dom steel tubing 1.75" on the outside with another 1.5" tube inside before bending......can't see any way it can bend or break. This required spacers inside the fork clamps , since the original fork tubes are bigger. Also if you notice, the shocks are in the same plane vertically with the upper part of of the forks. I'm not an engineer, just looked like the sensible way to build it.
Post a pic of the rigs you have.
Tim

Thanks Russ,
The leading I built is a composite of several different designs. With the measurements between the fork tubes being a lot more than what was on the Guzzi, I had to cut the back member and re weld a larger diameter tube over it. With the brake calipers mounted on the bottom, when brakes are applied, the front end raises up , instead of diving like traditional mounts. Seems to work great.
The fork tubes are dom steel tubing 1.75" on the outside with another 1.5" tube inside before bending......can't see any way it can bend or break. This required spacers inside the fork clamps , since the original fork tubes are bigger. Also if you notice, the shocks are in the same plane vertically with the upper part of of the forks. I'm not an engineer, just looked like the sensible way to build it.
Post a pic of the rigs you have.
Tim
I had a Hannigan Sidecar installed on our Guzzi EV 1100. Paul Hannigan took it out for a test and then said I did not need the Easy steer. The front-end setup would work. We put probably;y 60K on that rig prior to selling it. Including her ride to Alaska. I am looking at converting My R3T to a trike. They call for a front-end easy steer of 8 deg.

Last edited:
toolittletime, how's the build going? You should be finished by now and riding cross country.
Will you make it to the USCA Rally in Mena? First weekend in June...

We just got back from Branson last night. Called the builder to check progress. he ran into a glitch. Has it corrected and will paint next week. The frame building is done. I hope to go up in the morning to get the take-off parts.

toolittletime, how's the build going? You should be finished by now and riding cross country.
Will you make it to the USCA Rally in Mena? First weekend in June...
Yep all done and fine tuned.....had a problem with broken spokes on the sidecar rim......I think it was just old and lightweight....replaced with a mag rim from a shadow 1100.
Found it on ebay for under 100.00 shipped. Bigger brake drum and matches the bike better.
20210401_140934.jpg

Of course as usual, one thing leads to another..... Honda axle was bigger diameter and was not long enough, so had to make a new axle and spacers....brake cable was
also different, but when complete it is a much more robust design than the spoked rim.

And yes, registered for Mena a couple months ago...see you in June. Bringing the rig in the toy hauler, so we will stay in Mena for 2 weeks...then N Carolina....Ohio.....Michigan...and finally Idaho for the rest of the summer......back to Texas in October.

Tim

Wow that looks amazing great work,
Too bad you where not closer I'll borrow it some time to bring my dog for a ride that would be cool he would protect my bike:) great work, love the red with all the black trim .

Back