britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
I just finished surfing e-bay motors and found alot of R/3's posted well below the MSRP for the 2006 models. Is this because of the wind-down of the model year, or are they just not selling. If Hondax is correct and there are only about 2000 in the USA I was just wondering about the bike's future. I have finally found a bike that I have not grown tired up and enjoy riding every chance I get, it would be my luck Triumph would do away with the model. I have also found that two local bike dealerships are competing to bring in the Triumph line, both are less than five miles from my home. I read the sales figures about increases in Torque, but does everyone think Rockets will be rolling off the asssembly line in lets say. five years? Comments ?????

britman said:
I just finished surfing e-bay motors and found alot of R/3's posted well below the MSRP for the 2006 models. Is this because of the wind-down of the model year, or are they just not selling. If Hondax is correct and there are only about 2000 in the USA I was just wondering about the bike's future. I have finally found a bike that I have not grown tired up and enjoy riding every chance I get, it would be my luck Triumph would do away with the model. I have also found that two local bike dealerships are competing to bring in the Triumph line, both are less than five miles from my home. I read the sales figures about increases in Torque, but does everyone think Rockets will be rolling off the asssembly line in lets say. five years? Comments ?????

Good question.

Of the two Rockets I'm familiar with, mine and a Graphite one, both were used and being sold partly because they were "too much" for the original purchases. "Two much" meaning "too powerful" not too expensive.
As for your question Britman? I think the Rocket will be around for quite a while.:)

depends on how you fold it.....

Is the R3 going to be around in 5 years. That's the "sixty four thousand dollar question".

If you look at it. The R3 is a limited build bike compared to say the VTX 1800 or the Yamaha Road Star. The R3 seems (from reading here and on other forums) to be more popular in Europe than domestically. Triumph's advertising of it's respective models leaves something to be desired and the bike isn't trouble free or so it seems. So, the question of will it be around in 5 years is up for grabs. The lackluster attitude from Hinkley about building a touring R3 to compete with the Gold Bling and Road King tells me that the powers to be aren't enthralled with domestic sales and either don't want to or can't afford to put the R&D in to a full touring model. Does that spell the end for the R3, only time will tell. Lots of really great bikes fell victim to technological advances as well as the fickle styling preferences of the public at large. The R3 is riding both ridges at the same time. It isn't a cutting edge bike in a techinical aspect nor is it's styling mainstream.

Just because we all adore our machines, don't mean everyone else feels the same way and a continuous flow of new customers has to be attracted to keep the model alive.

Sidecar Flip said:
Is the R3 going to be around in 5 years. That's the "sixty four thousand dollar question".

If you look at it. The R3 is a limited build bike compared to say the VTX 1800 or the Yamaha Road Star. The R3 seems (from reading here and on other forums) to be more popular in Europe than domestically. Triumph's advertising of it's respective models leaves something to be desired and the bike isn't trouble free or so it seems. So, the question of will it be around in 5 years is up for grabs. The lackluster attitude from Hinkley about building a touring R3 to compete with the Gold Bling and Road King tells me that the powers to be aren't enthralled with domestic sales and either don't want to or can't afford to put the R&D in to a full touring model. Does that spell the end for the R3, only time will tell. Lots of really great bikes fell victim to technological advances as well as the fickle styling preferences of the public at large. The R3 is riding both ridges at the same time. It isn't a cutting edge bike in a techinical aspect nor is it's styling mainstream.

Just because we all adore our machines, don't mean everyone else feels the same way and a continuous flow of new customers has to be attracted to keep the model alive.
**** Flip:
That is profound, to the point, and really gives us owners something to ponder.

Sometimes it scary what comes from my pea brain.

Take for example the Bonneville. Rumor has it that the T100 was built as a flagship for the American market, to get Triumph going here so to speak after their Meriden demise and the stigma associated with a foundered company. Triumph was considering phasing out the T100 in favor of more modern models like the Tiger, Daytona and the other ****** rocket type bikes but the Bonneville, Thruxton and Scrambler have caught the eye of the young, upwardly mobile crowd and that has insured their longevity in the model lineup and, of course, a sizable profit margin on each unit sold. Does the R3 appeal to the Yuppie crowd? Honestly, I don't know. What profit margin exists on each unit, I'm not sure except for the fact that the dealer makes around 3K on each R3 depending on final price and accessories added at the initial sale.

Personally, I'd like to see the model continue, with variations, ad infinitum.

Like I said before, it's the $64,000.00 question.

check out my post on shunning. Just in time for Thanksgiving.........

I read somewhere that Hinckley was quoted as saying: "Because of the exchange rate the Rocket is not a profitable bike for us in the States, and raising the price would not make it competitive ". I wish i knew who gave that quote but I can't remember. Worldwide sales will keep the Rocket alive for a while and I believe some will continue to trickle over here.

It's a CULT bike, pure and simple, so it may NOT last.:eek:

Sidecar Flip said:
Sometimes it scary what comes from my pea brain.

Take for example the Bonneville. Rumor has it that the T100 was built as a flagship for the American market, to get Triumph going here so to speak after their Meriden demise and the stigma associated with a foundered company. Triumph was considering phasing out the T100 in favor of more modern models like the Tiger, Daytona and the other ****** rocket type bikes but the Bonneville, Thruxton and Scrambler have caught the eye of the young, upwardly mobile crowd and that has insured their longevity in the model lineup and, of course, a sizable profit margin on each unit sold. Does the R3 appeal to the Yuppie crowd? Honestly, I don't know. What profit margin exists on each unit, I'm not sure except for the fact that the dealer makes around 3K on each R3 depending on final price and accessories added at the initial sale.

Personally, I'd like to see the model continue, with variations, ad infinitum.

Like I said before, it's the $64,000.00 question.

check out my post on shunning. Just in time for Thanksgiving.........

If they had put ABS brakes on it, I would have paid for it.

Aren't the Speedmaster and America more popular than the classic Bonnie in the U.S.?

I don't know if the Speedy and America are more popular on a per unit basis in the USA because I have no access to those figures. The T100 like the R3 is a cult bike, it's just the T100, Thruxton version and scrambler version have caught the fancy of the yuppies, whereas the R3 hasn't. Your statement that if it had ABS, you'd have bought it I don't understand. ABS compared to the bike as a whole is inconsequential. Besides, the more additions to the bike the more the base price increases and the more uncompetitive it becomes. Triumph strives to maintain a balance between features and advertised price and overall does a pretty good job of that. Bikes aren't like cars where styling becomes a focal point. Unless the bike is astoundingly ugly, function preceeds form. Cars are the opposite. I believe all the automakers have at least once taken a good selling model and restyled it into a bomb.

There is a very fine line between a competively priced marketable bike and one that languishes on the showroom floor and dealers don't like bikes collecting dust and taking up space. Floorplanned bikes are taxable same as automobiles in a car dealership.

Back