Rocket Balance Point

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I think this has probably been addressed but in an exchange of emails with Gorge Rider he mentioned that he fabricated some lifting brackets. Upon raising his Touring, the front wheel came up and he had to use a secondary lift to bring up the rear. In my post about changing out the front wheel, I mentioned that it was the opposite with my Classic.

On the Standard, is the balance point any closer to the lifting bracket holes?

Using a Craftsman mc/atv lift, my Std lifts the front wheel first. Once I get the front off the ground a few inches, I attach tiedowns to the handlebars and the attach points on the lift and then ratchet down the front. This, obviously, brings the rear off the ground.

I found that using a 3/4 inch block under the rear " attach points" creates a neutral point when raisng the R3 on a convential atv/motorcycle lift. Both wheels lift at the same time.

I use a cut piece of 2x4 and place Skip's lift brackets on each end; upside down though so the lift points have a hard surface to sit on.

One of these day's I may drill out my lift point holes so I can use his brackets (properly); as well as the one I got from Flipmeister; but I don't have the interest in doing it yet. I don't like the idea of widening those holes like that, in the frame....

OK, here are the results of my lifting experiment: By removing the bags and the removable backrest/luggage rack on my '08 R3T, the balance point does indeed match with the designated holes in the frame. It's even more stable with the exhaust cans removed (necessary to remove the rear axle bolt).

Back