Rocket 3 Roadster ride report

tHanks for the advice guys, yes I know about ACF 50 and WD40, glad to hear it doesn't affect the finish. Have used WD40 for years on everything , so will carry on as usual!

I also forgot to say how cool the new fuel gauge/clock/gear indicators displays are - very discreet but there if you want them. Not like the heated grips switch - I thought I'd go for them as it gets pretty cold here, but I didn't expect a big square black box on the handlebar with a 60's style toggle switch sticking out! Come on Triumph, get into the 21st century with all the gizmos please. I'll find something better myself.

And Chris, you'll find the beast copes with alpine roads fine I guess, it'll scrape the pegs but don't worry, there's plenty more lean angle left! The light clutch will be perfect for coaxing it round tight hairpins, but watch out when you stop - make sure your boots have grippy soles. I almost dropped mine yesterday stopping in the slushy snow in the car park at the Lecht, my foot went down to steady the bike as normal but it was on a slippy bit. You do NOT want to find out how heavy the R3 is under those conditions believe me!

I had a good look at the Roadster engine while removing the exhaust heat shields, and there are a lot of little covers hiding all the works. You don't notice at first glance, but Triumph have taken some care in making the bike look uncluttered when really it's got ugly wires and pipes everywhere. Except above the oil tank where the throttle linkages are.

So..

You were at the Lecht in that?

Respect...! Its a hell of a road around there.. Id rather do it in Summer of course..:eek:

I also got the heated grips and know what you mean - but by crikey, with the weather varying like it has done over the past few years, I would rather have it, than not...:D

I assumed the heated grips switch wod be where the blank is on the right hand handle bar not a separate box! On well if that's the only thingto co plain about I am not too fussed!

Cheers Chris

Chris - You can see the box for the grips on the LH bar. Looks like there's a spare hole in the same box for riding lights.

Attachments

• R3R em.jpg
    R3R em.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 6,836
Och2pot,

Thanks for the pic. I agree not the prettiest! I like the mirrors I have ordered the same. I went for the summer screen instead of the sports as well as the same sissy bat you have. Matt black also.

Great bike. Looking forward to getting mine!

Cheers Chris

MPG Cheeky and Chris

On a run NOT commuting through London, using the torque, not revving the balls off it, what MPG is possible? I'd imagine over 40 to an imperial gallon. Almost certain I'll get one when I move to Lagos, Portugal in September. Will use for fun rides out

Och2pot, nice looking bike and pic.

You are correct about that second slot on the heated grips toggle switch box. On your bike it would be for the foglights...I guess you might call them "running lights" as well.
Be careful in that snow.

Dennis

85 dtg Dubai
86 dtg Home

rocket vs goldwing

Gentlemen,
My name is Joel E. Gothel, I am a serviceman in the US Army (feel free to make any and all jokes, believe me I do), and I am considering buying a Triumph rocket III or Honda Goldwing for touring purposes. I saw that many of you have owned both bikes before. I would like to know if anyone can give me a side by side comparison.
My current ride is a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 in shaft drive, that I have added bags and a windshield as well. I love riding the Shadow, however after a recent trip from Augusta, Ga to Gatlinburg, Tn for the Tail of the Dragon, my back and buttocks were in agreance that it was time to start looking at upgrades.
I love the roar of the shadow, she picks up and goes very nicely. I test drove a Honda Goldwing yesterday and was very impressed by the smooth take off, silky ride, wide seats, and (as it was about 45o outside) those hand and seat warmers were wonderful. I do not typically ride with a full face helmet, so the sound system and windshield were also quite a pleasant surprise.
Any advice, biased or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. My first consideration will be for a used model, however I have a deployment coming up and may use some of those funds for a new model.
Thank you kindly for all your help.
SPC Gothel, Joel E.
B. Co. 67th SIG BN

Joel:
Welcome to the forum. Never owned a Wing, but enjoyed five years on an F-6 Valkyrie and presently own a Beast (RIII Standard), so we have some basis for comparison.

We find the Beast a good deal more "raw" than the Valk, but lighter on its feet and measurably more powerful with better brakes. Also, the Beast is not as comfortable for us as the Valk was. We are short of stature, and the bars/pegs are a bit more of a stretch for us on the Beast. We are advised that Rivo risers will help with the bars. We will soon see. Most of our riding is local day trip stuff (250 miles or less), so the comfort thing is not critical for us. Besides, for us a twist on the Beast's throttle and its shortcomings are forgiven easily enough...

The Beast also has "presence" and draws a crowd any time it is among riders. Some see this as an advantage. Others, not so much.

As a Shadow owner, you have likely experienced Honda's reliability (which is almost legendary). So far (admittedly only 6300miles) our Beast has been equally reliable.

Based on our (admittedly indirect) experience, we think that for comfort, you may prefer the Wing. But for fun it will be the Beast. Good luck on whatever you choose, and thank you for your service to our country.

We trudge on.

Forgot one thing: Our friends from the UK are a bit more "cramped" on their island kingdom than are we. We agree with them that in traffic the Beast is not the best. We have ridden in metro (DFW) traffic and understand their concern. The Beast's attributes can be appreciated a good deal more in the rural south (USA) where you ride. This is a motor bike that need room. On open roads with long sweeping turns the Beast will shine.

We trudge on.

Back