Recall time Guy's

After clocking up about 200 miles I have noticed a glitch. If I cruise at about 2000rpm, pull in the clutch and shut the throttle, there is a delay before the revs drop off. If I do the same test at higher revs, the revs drop off sharply as they used to do. I have tried this in all gears and it is always the same. :? Apart from that it is ok.

mike the rock said:
After clocking up about 200 miles I have noticed a glitch. If I cruise at about 2000rpm, pull in the clutch and shut the throttle, there is a delay before the revs drop off. If I do the same test at higher revs, the revs drop off sharply as they used to do. I have tried this in all gears and it is always the same. :? Apart from that it is ok.

You know, I noticed that problem almost immediately but didn't realize it only occurred at a specific rpm; thought it was my imagination... Somewhat annoying problem--think I might have it changed back.

Checked my Vin on the triumph web page and it popped up also. So I took it into the dealers today told them of the service bulletin . They did not seam to know anything but the technician looked it up and got all the info the bike should be ready Monday. My bike had started to get the Hog idle and would not cold start very well with out me working the throttle. I had done the Allen screw fix a while back and that had taken care of the idle problem but the cold starts were still a problem. :)

final drive ordered and will go in for the work, new tech recall tune at the end of the month. 10,000 mile service while it's there.

Service knew about the tune but didn't seem to know about the final drive recall but checked and it will be done. Interesting that the final drive recall itself is dated Jan. 2005. what's up with that?

Here is a copy of the service bulletin -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Bulletin 385

June 2007

AffectedModels . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . ..Rocket III and Rocket III Classic
VIN Range. . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .. . . .. . . . . . . ..All VINs up to 320019
Markets . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .All
Subject . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Poor Idle Quality/Engine Stalling
Background information

In order to alleviate problems with poor/erratic idle quality and stalling, we require dealers to download a
revised calibration into the engine management system and carry out a range of checks and adjustments.

Customer contact instructions

Bikes in the affected VIN range must be modified prior to delivery to the customer or at the next service/visit
to the dealership.

Identification of affected motorcycles

Rocket III and Rocket III Classic models in the above VIN range are affected.

Warranty claim instructions

Fault code. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 01249391
Repaircode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 99385
Repair time allowance (including admin.)

-NO ADJUSTMENTS MADE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.16 hours
Repair time allowance (including admin.)

-IF ADJUSTMENTS ARE MADE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.21 hours
Parts Required . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .None needed
Parts ordering instructions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not applicable
Parts return instructions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not applicable

Other Instructions

Once completed, please mark the service record book that the requirements of this bulletin have been
complied with.

Procedure

Ensure you have the latest diagnostic software on your diagnostic tool (software version 2007_01A
is the latest). This is the only version of our diagnostic software that has the correct replacement
calibrations for the procedure described in this service bulletin. However, when available, later
versions of the software (e.g. 2007_02) will also have the necessary calibrations.
Page 1 of
Service Bulletin 385

If an earlier software version is loaded to your memory card, visit www.triumphonline.net and
follow the instructions given to update your memory card.
Download a new calibration to the motorcycle ECU, correctly selected from the table in appendix
A of this bulletin.
During download, check the throttle cable routing and adjustments as described in the Rocket III
service manual. Check also that the throttle linkage on the throttle body is clean and free-moving.
Rectify/adjust both as necessary.
Once downloading of the new calibration is complete, warm up the engine to normal operating
temperature.
Reconnect the diagnostic tool and navigate to the read sensors section, then scroll down until the
throttle position is displayed. Check that, at idle and with the engine fully warmed up, the throttle
position shows 0%. If any other reading than 0% is displayed, this indicates a fault that must be
rectified such as:
•
The throttle linkage is sticking
•
The throttle cables are incorrectly adjusted.
•
The throttle position sensor is incorrectly adjusted (to adjust the throttle position sensor,
follow the procedure given in the Rocket III service manual).
Turn the engine off.
Navigate to the “adjustâ€Â

This is the idle fix problem that I posted about last week. I have not read the bulletin but was told by my mechanic it is involves a recent of the ecm and manual setting of the idle.

Tatonka said:
Interesting, thanks. anything on the final drive recall?
All the '05s and possibly other final drives were recalled a couple years back. Perhaps yours somehow slipped through the cracks? I'd hate to think they're recalling them again!

Back