Rear wheel bearings -- RESOLVED! Thanks for all the advice.

I've got a question @bernard
What were the symptomd that got you to replace the rear wheel bearings and what mileage do you have? Did you have issue or were you replacing proactively?

I've replaced rear wheel bearings on other bikes when experiencing a little play or knotchy-ness in the rear wheel
I didn't have symptoms. I just had a new tire mounted at the dealer and they said they thought the bearings were going south. I tried turning the bearings with spacer still in wheel and they didn't want to turn. So I thought the dealer might have a point. I didn't want to pay them, so I getting it done myself with some support from the forum.

I am very careful when it comes to replacing bearings. In the welding trade if you hear a hammer hitting metal you can pretty much guess a welder screwed something up. Same in mechanical trade.

Last edited:
I am very careful when it comes to replacing bearings. In the welding trade if you hear a hammer hitting metal you can pretty much guess a welder screwed something up. Same in mechanical trade.
I tapped out the two smaller wheel bearings with a drift and hammer like the service manuals says. I did hear the hammer hitting metal. I plan on installing new bearings by simultaneously drawing them in with a threaded rod and two metal discs as prescribed in the service manual No hammer involved. The larger cush hub bearing looks like it will easily press out and be replaced using a small press.

I tapped out the two smaller wheel bearings with a drift and hammer like the service manuals says. I did hear the hammer hitting metal. I plan on installing new bearings by simultaneously drawing them in with a threaded rod and two metal discs as prescribed in the service manual No hammer involved. The larger cush hub bearing looks like it will easily press out and be replaced using a small press.
With my old bikes i often warm the hubs with heat gun and freeze the bearings they drop in and expand. If worn use Loctite but its a hassle for the next replacement. Often try freeze spray for removal too. Loosened swingarm nuts like this recently

Understand. I prefer usings a blind puller that way the bearing comes out evenly and you risk no damage to rim. I like to freeze the bearings which allows easy installation with a proper size and designed tool to set the bearing in place. Half a dozen or so ways to get the job done. I just prefer the above.

Back