Rear wheel bearings -- RESOLVED! Thanks for all the advice.

bernard

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
I bought a nifty slide hammer expanding wheel bearing puller. Removed the seal and circlip from right side bearing and installed the nifty bearing puller. After banging it more than I ever did my girlfriends, the bearing didn't budge. After removing the cush drive cover, I tried the other side. No luck. The manual says I should be able to use a long drift and knock the bearings out, but the spacer doesn't seem to allow a bite on the bearing. I know some have posted that it's a piece of cake. Could you send my a piece of that cake?

If you have the tire off of the wheel, you can put the wheel into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, take it out and then use the tool to pull the bearings. They will come out easily then. Wear gloves, be careful, and do it when your wife is not home.

I bought a nifty slide hammer expanding wheel bearing puller. Removed the seal and circlip from right side bearing and installed the nifty bearing puller. After banging it more than I ever did my girlfriends, the bearing didn't budge. After removing the cush drive cover, I tried the other side. No luck. The manual says I should be able to use a long drift and knock the bearings out, but the spacer doesn't seem to allow a bite on the bearing. I know some have posted that it's a piece of cake. Could you send my a piece of that cake?
Blind puller?

If you can get just a small bite on the bearing through the spacer, after a few taps, the spacer should then become "un-wedged" from between the two bearings. Then you just work your way around the bearing tapping as you go. I also used a couple of pieces of 2x4 under the rim while I was banging said bearings out to keep the rim elevated enough to protect the rotor. I just did it a few months ago. Also, put the new bearings in the freezer the night before you plan on installing them and they slide almost all the way in, only require a few taps to seat them.

If you can get just a small bite on the bearing through the spacer, after a few taps, the spacer should then become "un-wedged" from between the two bearings. Then you just work your way around the bearing tapping as you go. I also used a couple of pieces of 2x4 under the rim while I was banging said bearings out to keep the rim elevated enough to protect the rotor. I just did it a few months ago. Also, put the new bearings in the freezer the night before you plan on installing them and they slide almost all the way in, only require a few taps to seat them.
Thanks

If you have the tire off of the wheel, you can put the wheel into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, take it out and then use the tool to pull the bearings. They will come out easily then. Wear gloves, be careful, and do it when your wife is not home.
Thanks. Just had a new tire mounted at dealer. They said they thought my bearings were going south after they mounted the tire. They offered to install new bearings. I don't know if they were going to dismount the tire. I don't want to pay their labor if I can get around it.

I had the same problem in the past. Hit bearing with a lot of penetrating oil and let it set overnight. Next morning bearing came out on first pull. If the bearings are the original then yes it takes a bit.

The oven idea is a good tip. We use to remove bearing races from outboard motors by applying a little heat with a torch to the aluminum case. The aluminum will heat up before the steel race allowing it to come right out. I would try circling the aluminum around the race to heat it up with a mapp gas torch then try your puller.

Back