Rear wheel bearings -- RESOLVED! Thanks for all the advice.

The spacer between the 2 wheel bearings is usually in their tight but it can be moved over with a bit of elbow grease. Once it is move enough to get a drift punch in, hammer away.

I had the same problem in the past. Hit bearing with a lot of penetrating oil and let it set overnight. Next morning bearing came out on first pull. If the bearings are the original then yes it takes a bit.
Thanks

The oven idea is a good tip. We use to remove bearing races from outboard motors by applying a little heat with a torch to the aluminum case. The aluminum will heat up before the steel race allowing it to come right out. I would try circling the aluminum around the race to heat it up with a mapp gas torch then try your puller.
Thanks

So...what method did you end up using?
I started with the service manual method. But, the spacer was so tight, I was gouging the I.D. without it moving. So I had a new untested, state of the art, handy dandy, slide hammer bearing puller kit. After a couple of days trying to make it do its job, I went back to the service manual method. By then I had managed to take some pressure off the spacer and it moved a little to the side. Using a length of 1/2" steel bar and a 3lb drilling hammer, I tapped out the double row bearing 1st, alternating blows side to side. The wheel had a brand new tire mounted and was resting on a pair of 4X4's. The 1st blows seemed to get absorbed by the tire, so I deflated the tire and the impact targeted the bearing better. After the bearing and spacer dropped out, I flipped the wheel over and tapped out the single row bearing using a 3/4" socket reverse mounted on a long 3/8" drive extension. I could have used the 1/2" steel drift, but the socket is 1" diameter which fits nicely inside the opening to the single row bearing inner race. I mounted the socket in reverse because the back of the socket affords a nice flat contact surface applying the impact uniformly to the inner bearing race. Of course, prior to bearing removal, I removed the seal, retaining clip, and cush drive. I haven't gotten to the larger 6305 cush drive bearing yet, but it looks like it will easily press out.

Back