Rear brake rotor replacement

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
I'm prepping to swap out the rear brake rotor on my '09. The service manual makes it look pretty straightforward, but I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should be watching out for that will make it more difficult than it has to be.

Also, the manual says to use Mobil HP222 grease when putting the wheel back on and I'm not convinced the stuff actually exists. What's the equivalent that can be found in Canada?

Cheers

I'm prepping to swap out the rear brake rotor on my '09. The service manual makes it look pretty straightforward, but I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I'm wondering if there's anything I should be watching out for that will make it more difficult than it has to be.

Also, the manual says to use Mobil HP222 grease when putting the wheel back on and I'm not convinced the stuff actually exists. What's the equivalent that can be found in Canada?

Cheers
Not difficult at all, I changed front & back, also got titanium bolts to replace standard ones.

Not knowing if you've ever removed the rear wheel or jacked up the bike, it can be a bit tricky since you will have to lift the bike high enough for the wheel to clear the rear fender (from the side). Jacking up the bike and keeping it from tipping over is a bit tricky, which might be a problem for you since I don't know what type of jack you have. I've done it multiple times with a standard motorcycle lift and jack stands (like most) but if I had a garage, I'd use a lift of some kind with slings that catch the frame from above. As to the grease type, since the wheel bearings are sealed, the only place that would need any is the axle shaft. I'd use any good quality wheel bearing grease for this and you don't need a lot.

Oh, when removing the bolts, it often helps to hit the bolt you are going to remove with a brass hammer/punch to shock them a bit. Makes removing a lot easier rather than just applying torque with an Torx bit/wrench.

Not knowing if you've ever removed the rear wheel or jacked up the bike, it can be a bit tricky since you will have to lift the bike high enough for the wheel to clear the rear fender (from the side). Jacking up the bike and keeping it from tipping over is a bit tricky, which might be a problem for you since I don't know what type of jack you have. I've done it multiple times with a standard motorcycle lift and jack stands (like most) but if I had a garage, I'd use a lift of some kind with slings that catch the frame from above. As to the grease type, since the wheel bearings are sealed, the only place that would need any is the axle shaft. I'd use any good quality wheel bearing grease for this and you don't need a lot.

Thanks for the advice! I've just got it up on a Flipmeister's paddock stand, but I've also got the rear fender off to do some work on the rear wiring sub harness so thankfully clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Back