RARE COLORIZED PHOTOS AMAZING!

I was a bit older Bruce. Some guys from school that I knew got conscripted - several years older than me and at least 3 I know of were killed. If the war had gone on for another 2 years I would have been old enough for the conscription ballot. I look at my boys (15 and 20) and just can't imagine how a country can send largely untrained 18yos to war. Thanks for the pics; quite moving.

Richard I was in a similar situation watching the tv .actually got one of my friends is a vietnam vet ,we saw him off about 40 ears ago .he was in a recovery unit over there .just up the road from where I live we had and hopefully still have the Vietnam veterans motor cycle club .they used to draw some pretty big crowds ,always had good entertainment and also helped the returned servicemen and women from Iraq and Afganistan .they are a top bunch of blokes

For the Americans that didn't know Australian troops were sent to Vietnam to support the US forces there .. google search "The Battle of Long Tan" .. that battle is remembered and our servicemen honoured every year here in Australia.

My dad's younger brother Joe was conscripted in 1966 was trained as a dozer operator in the Engineers. When his time came to go he drew the long straw. Spent his 2 years in Aust. Mostly at Shoalwater Bay and Greenbank. He was disappointed he didn't get to serv. in Vietnam as most the blokes he trained with went.

I was aware of our Aussie brothers in signal intelligence, especially the DF efforts. I was with the 138th Aviation Company (Radio Research), the Army Security Agency was not in Vietnam:) We intercepted voice and Morse Code, tracking NVA and VC movements. We and our Aussie counterparts were highly effective.

to you AUSSIE BROTHERS that stood tall and lost your countrymen for our flag...THANK YOU...

Pretty sure it wasn't your flag they were fighting for or under mate. Our servicemen and women were sent by our then Government to support Australia's "allies" in the conflict.

I think the Boer War (1899-1902) was the last time Australian soldiers fought under a foreign flag, and even then we also had own own battalions under the Australian flag. It was just the timing more than anything else - Australian Federation commencing in 1901 - that caused many Aussie (and other colonial) soldiers to be included in British battalions.

.just up the road from where I live we had and hopefully still have the Vietnam veterans motor cycle club .they used to draw some pretty big crowds ,always had good entertainment and also helped the returned servicemen and women from Iraq and Afganistan .they are a top bunch of blokes

I attend the ANZAC Day dawn service at the Vietnam Veterans club ....... wonder what will happen this year with the Government anti association stupid law!!

Back